(China applicants) New requirement from Portugal Consulate for GV but impossible to get. What can be done?

Hi there,

We already have our pre-apporval and biometrics date in Nov, however, we just read the new requirement

“The criminal record must clearly indicate that it covers the whole country, not
just a given province, city, or autonomous region of the People’s Republic of China.”

But in China this is not possible as no criminal records are issued by city.

What are other Chinese doing about this?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, Where did you get the requirements list from ? Is there a manual for it.

It was just a doc our notary shared with us that had the Portugal stamp on it. Text said:

From August 1, 2022, for the purpose of issuing national visas, only criminal records
containing the following five elements will be accepted:

The name of the applicant;
Date of birth;
Nationality;
National identity number and/or valid passport;
The criminal record must clearly indicate that it covers the whole country, not
just a given province, city, or autonomous region of the People’s Republic of China.

1 Like

Hi Cisco,

We have a PRC Criminal Record Notarial Certificate from the year 2020, it states: “This is to certify that NAME has no record of committing offences against the criminal law until DATE, in China.”

Double check with your notarial office regarding your PRC certificate when it is translated into the English version. From what we can see on all PRC police records from China stated “in China”.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply. We just had ours done (for another country) a few weeks ago in Shenzhen. For USA and Chinese, both reports had a date, and mentioned in Shenzhen- unfortunately. Prior, the Chinese one did not have a date and “shenzhen only” on them. So it must be a new thing.

Curious though, where did you get yours done?

1 Like

I’m not a citizen of the PRC. I know this because a friend from the PRC applied for GV in 2020. I have seen the certificate, it was issued by the city of Guangzhou in 2020. I just checked the Portuguese Shanghai Consulate, the requirements for legalisation changed on 1 Aug 2022. Apparently this is the second time they changed this requirement, it was changed once in 2021.

I guess, as most Chinese police stations will have a “stubborn” template, it is likely Chinese visa applicants will encounter a lot of headaches.

Yeah, such an odd request form Portugal… Makes me think Xi paid them to stop taking their wealthy citizens, lol.

2 Likes

Well, Nothing prevents them from asking you reports from federal + state of current residence.

1 Like

Actually, keep in mind that an FBI record report may report both state and federal convictions, particularly felonies, depending on what state agencies report to the FBI database(s).

2 Likes

I don’t understand where the problem is. If the criminal record mentions “in China”, that means in the whole country exactly as they ask, and not simply “a given province, city, or autonomous region of the People’s Republic of China” which would not be acceptable.

1 Like

Some certificates will only state the province, or city. Chinese police certificates are not issued by a central authority.

Oh I see: I had misunderstood your phrase “no criminal records are issued by city” as “none of the criminal records is issued by city”.

1 Like

@Jiao hi I am also a Chinese applicant living in the US. Can I add you on WeChat for some questions. My ID is jxu-ai. Thanks!