Golden Visa and "clean criminal records"

What do you they mean by “clean criminal records” . I have a DUI from 11 years ago and a couple minor (misdemeanor) arrests from 26-28 years ago on my FBI background check. Not a criminal and I’ve even owned bars with liquor licenses in my current state of residence, so I’m not sure if this is going to be an issue that I need to resolve. I don’t want to go through all the work to be denied for these very in the pest petty infractions. Anyone know the answer? Thank you

i am not sure if this answers your question… (copied from SEF)

The granting of a residence permit shall entail: the absence of any fact which, if known to the competent authorities, would preclude the granting of the visa; Absence of conviction for a crime which in Portugal is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year; The applicant is not within a period of prohibition of entry into the national territory, following an expulsion measure from the country; No indication in the Schengen Information System; No indication in SEF’s Integrated Information System for non-admission purposes, under article 33 of the Aliens Act​;

Thanks, but that’s about as clear as mud. I wish there was a clearer way to find out. I’ve not been in trouble with law (except the dui 11 years ago) since I was a kid, so it seems crazy to even ask, but I hate to jump through all the hoops just to be denied and than have to start over and work on getting these ancient minor infractions removed from my record.

I think what they are trying to say is that if the crime would not be punishable by 1 year or more in prison in Portugal, then you would be okay. So you would just need to know if any of your crimes are in that category, which does not seem to be the case. However, if you are planning to use a lawyer, you should just clarify your qualification with them before you engage/pay them to know for sure.

Arthur, depending of the state in the US that these occurred in, you can get them expunged from your record. This could involve getting a lawyer to do it and take several months. That should remove your past misdemeanors from the FBI background check.

well how long were you in jail? if not for a year then it is probably fine.