Has anyone on this forum completed the Portugal Golden Visa process and obtained citizenship?

This is incredibly helpful! Thank you, @Onward.

hmmm, so what if they are under 9? I assume they take some version of the A1 exam? Have interpreted that right? I doubt say a 6 or 7 year old would be able to write a sentence in their native language let alone Portugueseā€¦

2 Likes

Ah my bad, I just read this bit. I guess I will just contact them to find out what the deal is. Itā€™s a bit of shame you can only take the exam in Portugal.

Almost the same timeline for us. 5 years is up in Feb 24. We are expecting to sit CIPLE in May. Have registered with the local parish and the health authorities. Switching tax residence to Portugal this year - there can be no more enduring committment! Have tons of vet bills from Lisbon alreadyā€¦.

The fly in the ointment - no third renewal yet.

BTW my lawyer says once the renewal happens the new law does not apply as this should be the last renewal - but then he always said there was no need to to move to PT while I have said since we started this process that the EU would allow GVā€™s by another name if they were tied to residence.

This tying the GV renewal to long term rental/permanent residence will 1) accelerate the tax residence of those to whom this is necessary for lifestyle or other reasons 2) while washing away those with means for whom this was a remote plan B - the long term rentals for Air BnB type flats in Bairro Alto will be zilch. We were shown some - you couldnā€™t swing a size challenged cat in them. But nice yields promised.

The 11K GVā€™s will shrink to 3K is my guess.

2 Likes

That link is only for adults over 18 (or emancipated children), so not applicable to most minors:

Estas condiƧƵes sĆ³ se aplicam se residir legalmente em Portugal hĆ” pelo menos cinco anos e tiver mais de 18 anos (ou for legalmente emancipado)

1 Like

Actually I saw able to sit for the CAPLE test during the pandemic at the Portuguese embassy in Newark, NJ. I wanted to see how much farther I needed to get my Portuguese. I am in country now under the D7 and studying at UMinho. While the Caple test gives you one grade to pass the University A2 I will have to pass all parts. The grammar is difficult for me. You can find a sample test on the CAPLE website. There is written, listening and speaking parts of the test.

1 Like

We did the CIPLE test in Lisbon in June last year. Because of COVID, they hadnā€™t been doing tests so it was sold out. The test was basically a high school AP exam. We were glad we had been taking classes at a Lisbon school; while no one else in school was aiming for the test, the course and materials were exactly what was needed for the test.

I looked at Newark as a possibility, but there were only 2 spots per test. Did you have more?

1 Like

Iā€™ll be taking mine in Newark, hopefully. I keep looking though, and no exams are ever scheduled? Iā€™ve been looking for a year (although I need to learn some more Portuguese first!)

At the time I took it there were a few free spots even on day of test even though there were less spots available than usual bc 6 foot rule. Folks were still very nervous in NY area with good reason back then. I did need to find out the schedule well in advance. People came as far as Providence and Massachusetts to take the test and some were much.younger as they were going for.work in Lisbon or planning to go live with Portuguese family. Best 65 eu I spent even though I failed. Showed me that I needed to take University level course and immerse here locally to pass. I was able to get in contact with caple via the Newark Embassy website. Actually found a link that says May and November test seats may be available and Boston, Berkeley and DC may be other options. Boa sorte :grinning:

2 Likes

I suggest you book the seats and contact Ciple by email. They might open up an additional seat for you.

1 Like

Does anyone know how long the A2 exam result would be valid? Like if I take it 4 years in advanced before I can apply for citizenship, will they still accept it or will I have to take another one at the time of application?

3 Likes

A little bit of offtopic if you guys would kindly allow me toā€¦
Weā€™ve invested in November 2020, had our biometrics in November 2021, but still have no final approval and cards (ā€œRussian caseā€), and thereā€™s one question bothering me very much regarding my children and their potential future Portuguese citizenship, which can affect the general idea of GV for our family.
My daughter is 16, and son is 13. In any case they both will be above 18 when reaching 5-year residency period.
As I know, the dependant members of the family of main GV applicant are subject to the same conditions. Would they be able to proceed with the permanent residence permit and citizenship after they turn 18? I also suspect that they even if they do, they at least can not get married till the process is over not to lose their dependency?
I seek for your advice guys, as in the current situation itā€™s a big question to me whether itā€™s worth keeping the investment in an overpriced Lisbon real estate (which will probably devaluate) for next 6-7 years, if my kids wonā€™t be able to benefit from thatā€¦

A great question I would also like to know the answer to.

2 Likes

According to my lawyer, as long as you have the certificate it is valid for any amount of time and you do not need to re-do it.

5 Likes

I believe so long as they have held the residence cards 5 years, and are over 18, they can apply same as you.

But with the EU clamping down on golden passports, itā€™s possible that simply holding the GV, without moving to Portugal full time, wonā€™t be enough. Naturalization still requires the subjective ā€œconnection to Portugalā€ whose interpretation can easily change over time. The GV entitles you to apply, but there is no guarantee of citizenship approval.

2 Likes

I agree with the subjective nature of ā€˜connection to portugalā€™, itā€™s why I want to see if people have actually made it through the process the whole way through to citizenship. If they have, it will set a precedent that could be challenged in court if they started to turn around and say 'no citizenship for you". More likely they would change the citizenship law or possibly just kill the GV program as a whole (which is what they are doing now)

1 Like

Although they are not a member of this group, a friend who is a citizen & resident in the Middle East last week visited Lisbon to pick-up his new Portuguese passport ( along with dependent parent & sibling) all within his GV application made almost 6 years ago. The family still live in the ME and visited Portugal for holiday every year to meet their commitments .
Iā€™m sure there are many who have done this.

4 Likes

What were their country of origin if I may ask?

For their privacy Iā€™ll just say Middle East

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the story.
Really curious to know how his parent could pass the A2 Portuguese. My parent would never be able to pass A1šŸ˜…

2 Likes