Has anyone on this forum completed the Portugal Golden Visa process and obtained citizenship?

Very interesting but how could this be done in 5 years. My understanding current passport applications take 24-29 months , taking 5 years GV and 1 yr application. It cannot be less than 8 years. Anyway excellent news.

3 Likes

My lawyer recommends on renewing until citizenship is obtained as apparently you need it until passport is obtained .

2 Likes

My lawyer says language if under 18 not a must. I am not too convinced , anyone has any feedback from their lawyers on this ?

That is a long time for passport…is there somewhere that shows processing times? Most countries passport processing times post pandemic are a couple of months at worst.

1 Like

It says 5 working days here… Passaporte Eletrónico Português – Viagem ao património

Perhaps you are thinking of citizenship processing time? Want to apply for Portuguese Nationality? Now is the Time!

That I can believe is still because of the pandemic backlog. Hopefully they sort it out soon.

1 Like

Fund route for GV was only introduced in 2018?

1 Like

Five years ago, yes

1 Like

Have updated my OP…it was not a fund transfer - thanks for pointing this out.

1 Like

My 2nd visa expired in October 2022, and I was worried about finding the time to return to Portugal for biometrics for the renewal on short notice with my daughters who are in school. Fortunately, my attorneys were able to submit the renewal application in the SEF website in January with no FBI report, and no SEF appointment, and I received my 3rd visa 3 weeks later.

4 Likes

I should note that the expected processing time should be 30-90 days according to the citizenship organisation in portugal. I’m sure they will have this sorted in the next couple of years.

1 Like

My daughters are 13 and 15, and I am still unclear about what language exam they will be required to take in order to obtain citizenship. My attorney told me to apply first and then after my citizenship is granted, to apply for my children, who will both be under 18 at the time of their application. Ideally, we could show a connection to Portugal without the A2 CIPLE test requirement, but I am still trying to make a final determination of what is required under my circumstances.

Parents did not take language test, only my friend & his sibling obtained passports, parent just has residence

Confirmed the process took closer to 6 years end-to-end (ie until last week to get new passport)

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It is impressive to hear that your friend managed 6 years for passports. That means he never had difficulty to book the biometric for the renewal. Extraordinary!
Pre-approval, approval, biometrics (3 times) for 3 cards… It is just incredible that he could sail thru all those barriers without hiccups. Big congratz to him.

This is an interesting point: the requirement is five years, not three renewals. The renewal delays don’t count against the GV holder, do they?

1 Like

My lawyer says same about language but am skeptical but good to have similar lawyer opinion.

The requirement for children throughout 5 years of residence under the GV is that they are in full-time education, are not married and are financially dependent on the main applicant. It is not a requirement that they are under 18.

My kids are currently 18 and 20 and we just completed our biometrics last week. By the time we start our 5-year clock they will in all likelihood be 19 and 21. Add 5 years to that and they will be 24 and 26 by the time we have completed 5 years of residence. Fortunately they are in university and will be looking to go on to postgraduate qualifications after their undergraduate degrees, which are 4 years long in both cases.

I don’t know what the requirements for permanent residency after 5 years of GV are, whether it is automatic or if the dependent children still need to be in full-time education, single, financially dependent. I very much doubt the latter though - are they supposed to remain dependent forever?

So I think so long as your kids remain in FT education throughout the 5 years of residence - and they don’t get married and also you can demonstrate some ongoing financial support of them - then you should be ok from that aspect.

1 Like