How to get a Portuguese NIF for Non-Residents

Hi Bob. I don’t know what purpose you received your NIF but keep your NIF and don’t pay any fees. I just obtained my NIF in Portugal because I am in the process of buying a property there for investment. I am a Japanese citizen with US residency. I am not part of EU. My real estate agency told me that I don’t need to pay fiscal representative to represent me just because i don’t plan to live there anytime soon. I will need to pay property taxes every year but I can do it online. There is absolutely no need to pay fees just because you received NIF. I was approached by tax accountant office that I have to pay 500 euros a year to them just so that they can receive mails from tax authority office and notify me any tax dues which is totally bogus.

This is true. I brought my Japanese passport, California drivers license, US residency card and proof of income. I was able to open a bank account at Santander. Before I went to the bank I went to tax authority office and obtained NIF first. I was asked to deposit 150 euros which is minimum balance to keep the account open.

Hi Bob,

Good to know this. Thanks!

Lots of useful information. Thanks to all.

Still have a question and I hope someone has experience with a similar situation.

My Chinese wife needs to get a NIF for Non-Residents.

The Proof of Address is a challenge as all information in China is in … Chinese characters.
And we will need to have the Proof of Address to be translated to Portuguese (as we’re told by several lawyers)

Does anyone have experience using a name and address in NON-alphabetical characters (Chinese/Japanese/etc) on a bank statement/utility bill/id card?

1. Did you have the Non-alphabetical address translated to English or directly to Portuguese?
2. Did you have this translation certified/notarized?
3. If you had this translation certified/notarized, where did you do that?

a. In your home country at a Portuguese Embassy/ consulate
b. Portuguese lawyer, Portuguese Notary
c. Other…

4. And did you face any issues when applying for the NIF?
If so, what kind?

Thanks so much for any help.

As a retired Uk resident, am proposing to sell my UK home, and then move to Algarve without a UK or Portuguese address (temporarily staying in a hotel while looking for a permanent residence). Can I get an NIC and open a bank account in this situation?

How? I registered and can’t find my number

  1. Thai motorcycle license translated to English
  2. Notarized
  3. At Thai law firm that did the translation
  4. None, undoubtedly helped by my financial representative knowing what she was doing, and that Portuguese was her first language.

Thanks @dancebert Very helpful.

Hi all,

Following situation:

My wife and I are European nationalities, living and working in Switzerland (Non-EU, non EEA). I read this might mean we would need a fiscal representative if we want to get a NIF.

  • What would the fiscal office really do after we get the NIF? Would we get letters / invoices from the fiscal office when using this NIF to buy an apartment in Portugal for short term rental?

  • Would the address provided during NIF-request be used for any contractual obligations going into in Portugal (i.e. buying a property, paying taxes etc.?)

My wife and I have bought an apartment elsewhere in Europe but do not live there. I could give them a bill for internet with our European based property address, and my wife could give a bank account statement stating the same property address in case of need, but would that be sufficient / needed?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

What would the fiscal office really do after we get the NIF?

Any physical mail from Finanças goes to your fiscal representative, who has the obligation to forward it / notify you. If any of those notices require you to do something and you don’t, then you have a problem. In other words, you need a reliable fiscal rep with a reliable address.

Would the address provided during NIF-request be used for any contractual obligations going into in Portugal (i.e. buying a property, paying taxes etc.?)

You NIF number is required for any nontrivial financial agreement. For example, you can’t buy a reloadable SIM without one. All tax related communication from Finanças will be to the NIF address.

A warning. When you no longer need a fiscal rep, you can create an account on the Finanças site. The password will be sent to the NIF address. There are online reports of the fiscal reps demanding payment for the password.

Took me 90 minutes, mind you it was the first weekday

I went this morning and was turned astound without a representative with Portuguese address. I don’t know anyone here. The lawyer wants €200 per person. Any suggestions?

Hi, I’m from Seville and I’m starting to work in Lisbon this week. I need the NIF number, can someone help me which direction do I have to go?

Hi !

I’m french, and I want to know if it’s easy to have a NIF in Portugal ? (after having a location of a apartment there)
Do you know what I have to take with me? and what I have to ask?
After having the proof of the location of the appartment I just have to go at the prefecture and ask my NIF? (because I want the join the NHR program)

Thanks for your time

1 Like

hello ! can i get the nif for my wife or is a must to be in person at the desk ? i want to buy an apartment and as we are married she must get the nif also but i wouldn t bring her all the road/airplane only for a nif…

To get a NIF all you have to do is to go to Financias and request one. You do not need Proof of recedency if you are an EU resident

To get a NIF all you have to do is to go to Financias and request one. You do not need Proof of recedency if you are an EU resident. Get there early to awoid the lines

2 posts were split to a new topic: How can I remove my Portuguese tax representative?

a) Civil identification document or other legally equivalent; - Does it mean Passport?
b) Power of attorney or mandate contract with with the tax representative; - Do I need to bring Tax rep to Finanças or Power of attorney or mandate contract will be enough to have without his physical presence?
c) Fiscal and civil identification document of the tax accountant. - Does it mean TAX ID from my country (non EU)?

Passport or EU national identity card

If you’re a citizen of an EU country you don’t need a Financial Representative. Otherwise, one must be present. If you’re paying someone to be your Financial Representative and request the NIF in your absence, they need you to sign a power of attorney so they can sign a document for you.

Your Financial Representative (if you need one) must have evidence either of being a Portugal citizen or having a permanent residence permit, and they must have evidence of their NIF number.

If you have government issued evidence of your address in another country, bring it. Examples are a utility bill or drivers license. Some use bank account statements. If you can’t supply Finanças with a foreign address, that may start the clock on you being a tax resident in Portugal before you actually will be.

1 Like