How to Open a Bunq Account—from Anywhere

The Dutch bank Bunq is one of several mobile-only banks to appear in the last few years in Europe. While the slightly higher sticker price than many of their competitors might be off-putting, the bank’s unique philosophy might still persuade you to open an account.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://nomadgate.com/open-bunq-anywhere/
2 Likes

I wonder if you have seen all the comments about Bunq since they updated their app? It’s very difficult to navigate and people are begging them to return to the previous app. I don’t need a full account and am in the middle of applying for their Travel card - a prepaid credit card - which I think is a brilliant idea. The process of applying, compared to Revolut, N26, Transferwise and Monzo, is the worst I have ever encountered and I almost gave up. However, I transferred a few hundred euros to show good faith. Weeks later, they still did not allow me to use the virtual card. Finally I received a message saying that I had still not proved my address and had not sent a photo of utility bill etc. But they NEVER asked for this in the first place!! So I sent them the photo. Now they want my tax I.D. and their app will only accept Maltese tax IDs which I don’t yet have because the E-residence application is just starting. If things couldn’t get worse, they have debited my account for 2 x travel cards!! I just give up!

1 Like

Great product, terrible support

Great product, the most terrible customer support in the industry.

I have a seperate account with another bank, just in case I need actual good service. Spending about 60 eu per month on their services and dont even have a phone number to call…

Well, after one year, I can confirm what you said. The app is terrible. The English version does not have a ‘Messages’ menu, but it uses ‘Announcements’ that is not easy to find unless you know exactly where to find it and what it means. They have also changed their structure and made everything more complicated. I can’t help wondering if they didn’t employ a marketing guy from Vodafone, since the complexity reminds me very much of my italian Vodafone app.

Are you able to make transactions without meeting the request?