Introduce yourself! šŸ‘‹

Hello friends. Discovered this community a while ago, but just now joining. California native that has lived (nomadically) in SEA & EU. Wife and I are looking to repatriate to the EU (preferably Portugal or Italy) and currently exploring our options for visas.

cheers!

1 Like

Hi All,

Lolita from Indonesia :indonesia:, a newbie with Nomad life, currently based in London and planning my nomadic life, starting in Amsterdam next month!

Iā€™m a UX designer mostly for startups, hit me up if youā€™re looking for one! haha :blush: :blush:

excited to join this community and learning from experts how to digi nomad :dancer: :dancing_women: :dancer: :dancing_women: down to grab a pint, cup of coffee to whoever in the same town with me.

Cheers~ :beers:

1 Like

Hi! :wave: Found you while researching best banks for international travel. Love the info but wow some is overwhelming! Iā€™m a chef :woman_cook: in LA and travel to Europe frequently. Mom of 4 boys (youngest about to fly - off to his life and college!) Lived in France years ago. And looking forward to more extended trips over the next few years. Nomad life for me in retirement. And I kinda suck at emojis!
Fav place: Italy
Why? Food & wine
Avid reader. Loved too many to pick a fav.
Speak: French, English, Italian
Ciao!

2 Likes

Hi all!

I found you guys while searching for GEAR travel insurance. Iā€™m a Canadian voice over actor who will be travelling down to Honduras in a couple weeks. Iā€™m planning to complete my IDC SCUBA and work in conservationā€¦but for actual MONEY, Iā€™ve got a travel VO rig that will be coming with me.

This is all a big experiment and Iā€™m excited to see how it goes. If I can record on the road and keep my regular clients, I could be gone for a few years, yay!

Will be looking on here for a reply to my query about gear insurance. Iā€™ve got great health/travel insurance (flight delays, baggage etc.) but Iā€™m hooped if my VO gear is stolen or damaged :frowning:

Claire

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:
Iā€™m Marcos. Iā€™m a software developer from :brazil:, living in :canada: and recently Iā€™ve realized that I donā€™t really want to spend my years in a single place. I got a 100% remote job in Canada, but we (wife and I) canā€™t start our journey around the world just yet, we have past debts to pay (immigrating was not cheap) and we started our plans last week (hopefully in a year or so, we will be ready to start moving things).

So yeah, googling this nomad life brought me here and I hope to learn a lot from otherā€™s experiences and tips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone Iā€™m Neil, lived all my life in and around East London/Essex UK, although well travelled.
Looking to escape from this catastrophe with my family to the Monchique area of the Algarve.
My wife is Thai naturalised British Citizen and we have 4 children from the age of 15 to the age of 2.
Iā€™m interested in setting up an aquaponics system and to try and become as self sufficient as possible.
We are also looking into setting up a small Thai style noodle bar.
Well thatā€™s me, I would be interested in any tips for opening a small cafe and even if possible getting an alcohol licence.
Kind regards.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome Neil,

Because you are looking to setup an aquaponics system to be self sufficient, I would advise the combination of a flood and drain bed for your fruiting plants and deep water culture beds (being your dominant number of beds) for your vegetables. Consider growing duckweed and using tilapia because the are herbivorous and feeding them with duckweed will reduce most of your feeding cost if not all.

For your mechanical filter, consider using a radial flow filter. For your bio filter, consider using K1 or K3 media. If you donā€™t mind the high cost, a bead filter would do the job and reduce your physical maintenance form about 30 minutes per week to 30 seconds per week. The use of a venturi in your bio filter and fish tanks are highly encouraged.

Use split flow when setting up the plumbing to ensure you reduce stress for periods you need to shut off any beds or fish tanks for maintenance or repairs. Expanding your system is also easier using split flow.

Consider keeping a small worm farm using pvc containers to make worm castings for your seed starting mix and nursery (assuming you choose to start seeds in soil or want a soilless seed starting mix) . This will also provide you with compost tea and castings you can add to your minerialization tank if you keep one.

Gravel and trays can be used for seed starting (about 400-500 seeds per tray) with water from your system.

Consider having a minerialization tank, it would be one of the best additions to your system. Outside of feeding your system, it can provide you with extra income from sales of high concentrated organic fertilizer you would be producing.

I am sure you will have so many fun moments with your friends and family building and maintaining your aquaponics system. Feel free to reach out if there is any info I can help with.

Enjoy the build of your systemā€¦

2 Likes

Hi. Iā€™m Yashen. I currently live 6 months in New Zealand and 6 months in Corfu, Greece. However Iā€™m reaching an age where the 30 hours plus sitting in a plane between places is getting a bit long. Plus, I have a UK passport so this is my last chance to get additional EU residencies lined up. My thinking is to be based in Corfu still, but to escape Corfu in the cold winter and the too hot summer (sorry!! - looking for Goldilocks Isleā€¦). My current choice is Madeira (Portuguese island). But, I need to understand the rules for residency and tax in Portugal soon and get it all done and dusted before 31 December. Looking forward to connecting with community members.

1 Like

Thank you for the fantastic indepth info Akan, that is a great help. You must have a great deal of experience, I appreciate you sharing that knowledge.
I am a bit worried that tilapia is not so easily available in Portugal and might not be suited to the climate, even though it is the most popular fish for aquaponics as it can withstand quite a bit of hardship. I will try, though I have heard that some swap for trout in winter.
How big is your system? Do you have photos?
Keep up the good work Akan.
Kind regards
Neil

1 Like

Awesomeā€¦ :sunny: :rainbow:
I think I will go to New Zealand firstā€¦ But I have a longing for Ireland (no idea why)ā€¦

I donā€™t have any suggestions except for ā€¦ Remember to take care of yourself first :brain: :muscle: :revolving_hearts:, otherwise, you wonā€™t be able to take care of your clients :sneezing_face: :face_with_thermometer: :face_with_head_bandage: :sleeping:!!!
Conclusion = Play 1st :grimacing: :blush: :yum:

Youā€™re welcome Neil, my actual experience comes from owning/running a 3 acre organic farm. Like you, I have interest in starting an aquaponics farm and have invested lots of time and money into my learning. As a result, while I may not have started mine, I am very well educated at all levels (DIY and high end commercial setups).

You are right about tilapia not being easily available in Portugal. In fact, organic aquaculture appears to be reserved for high end customers according to a European Commission report ( report added below). This is an opportunity you can use to make better returns by targeting a few restaurants or hotels for your produce.

The climate in Portugal will not be an issue as it is a lot more pleasant than north Americas (where lots of aquaponics farmers still use tilapia). When you have a system that is over 1,000 liters of system water, you find that you have better stability in temperature and PH. Trout is not a bad replacement for tilapia.

Look at the option of getting your tilapia from the Netherlands as they seem to be the best in closed aquaculture systems in Europe. Specifically look at the YY male tilapia technology (for stocking male only for faster growth, less fighting, better food conversion etc)

I have added a few links to aquaponics commercial farmers near you that you can visit rather than relaying on pictures. One of them grow trout (Bioaqua farm) and another specialize in tilapia (Fishfarm UK) and could have answers for what fish you could use in Portugal.

https://www.growup.org.uk/

http://bioaquafarm.co.uk/tours/

https://www.livetilapiasupplier.co.uk/home

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Akan

1 Like

Howzit Folks! I am a medical doctor, but unable to practise since 2016 due to a chronic pain condition with chronic fatigue. Bit of a bummer, but I try to make things work. From South Africa, Cape Town. I grew up in Port Elizabeth, love the outdoors and the ocean - freediving and snorkeling, surfing etc. Basically anything to do with water except riding a jetskiā€¦
Looking at emigrating to Europe in the next few years. You seem to have created a wonderful community. Excited to be able to share ideas and experience. Countries interested in: Portugal.

1 Like

Hey guys ! Mona here ! Based in Morocco ! Intuitive therapist and energy healer, artist, writer and cultures lovers. Looking forward to connect !! :star_struck: :heart_eyes: :kissing_heart: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

1 Like

hi all, Mike here, currently in Manila, Philippines and a digital nomad and dad with family in China at the moment (bad timing with Coronavirus)

excited to connect with other digital nomads here. Iā€™m a blogger, vlogger, and podcaster at Global From Asia as well - cheers!

1 Like

Hello everyone! :grinning: My name is Reggie and excited to join the Nomad/Gate community. Iā€™ll be traveling abroad :airplane: soon and frequently and need to set up a international bank account for the business here in the US. I saw you recommended Charles Schwab, is that the best bank? Again thanks. Reggie

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Iā€™m Roman from Moscow, Russia. I am mostly programmer and algorithmic trader, also have small business of offshore and IT consulting. Plus some investments in stocks and bonds - initially it was a hobby, now more seriously.

I have slightly cynic view on people because I am not young (52 y.o.) and spent many years in financial industry which every day makes wealthy people even more wealthy by fooling ordinary guys like you and me.

I enjoy travelling in Mediterranean and Western Europe. I love Costa Blanca in Spain, Porto in Portugal and Greek islands. Maybe my next home will be there.
I am fan of good wine and meat. And seafood, of course!

It is a pleasure to be with you, guys!

3 Likes

Hello!

Iā€™m Anna from IL, USA :us: My family and I are currently in the Philippines :philippines: to do missionary work to help orphans. I learned about Nomad Gate by researching the best banks in the Philippines. Iā€™m an adventurous, fun-loving, God-fearing accountant :smile: with 5 amazing children. Iā€™ve been working remotely for a year now and L.O.V.E. it!! I would recommend it for everyone! My family and I miss the good pizzas, steaks, burgers and desserts of the US that we became better cooks in the Philippines :laughing:

One top book my family is reading together is the bible. It truly gives us insight to life. Another book my family read together is Napoleon Hillā€™s ā€œThink and Grow Richā€.

We look forward to new adventures and traveling to experience new places, new food, new cultures and meet new people.

I look forward to learning about others experiences and getting to know you all!

1 Like

Hello everyone
Glad to be part of the forum. My name is fernando and i was born in Porto-Portugal and left with my
parents for sunny South Africa in 1959.I was 7 years old at the time.I have traveled to many parts of the
world over the years. I will be visiting the islands of the Azores and Madeira shortly with the intention of retiring
there,as i recently sold my business but still want to work and travel as im still an energetic 67 year old
Cheers

2 Likes

Hello. I have lived in 12 countries and regret never having got any EU citizenship. My wife and I are committed to gaining the Portuguese Golden Visa within the next 2-3 years for the sake of our sons, safety, and sanity. We are dual US/Australian citizens with all of our funds and property in the US.

I have Degrees in Psychology and Nursing. Currently working as a cargo pilot in California. We are looking mostly in the Algarve region to relocate. I would like to stay in aviation. I have FAA and CASA CPL/ME/CFII ratings.

3 Likes