Introduce yourself! šŸ‘‹

Hi All
I am Dion from sunny South Africa. Spend a bit of time in Europe and the States. I would call myself a financial Nomad rather than a physical Nomad. Involved in wine tourism and a few other small side projects. Favorite book? The list is too long to mention. But how about Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance or The Snowball: Warren Buffet. I not really into Podcasts but enjoy a few YouTube Channels like Hyperchange and Invest with Sven Carlin. Looking forward to connecting, learning, picking your brain and hopefully contributing wisely.

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Dominik, currently living in Munich! :wave: Iā€™ve been working as a founder of various online ventures in the travel space for the past 10+ years and have always been an avid traveller. So far, Iā€™ve been living/working/studying in Germany :de:, UK :uk: and Spain :es:. I stumbled upon Nomadgate while researching for recommended travel discovery apps. Iā€™ve long been fascinated by the idea of a nomadic way to live and work and hope to find some inspiration here to set sail myself at some point in the futureā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, I am DCA. I have been lurking in the background now for some time and perhaps I should step a bit out of the shadows. I have worked as a mechanical engineering/business consultant and have traveled all my career to an extent that I, at times, forgot what country I was in. (Try speaking poor high school Spanish to a German who does not speak English while offering him Dutch money. [pre-Euro]) Now with the working world increasingly becoming electronic, the kids abandoned in various countries and the distinction between vacation and a work trip becoming murky my wife and I realize that we have become homeless with no fixed address.

So I come here looking for how to open up accounts in various locations. Mainly to resolve the issue of currency conversions. There is also the secondary issue of things like driverā€™s licence and medical since we no longer seem to meet official residency status anywhere. (Except for taxes, of course. It seems there is no way to lose residency for those.)

1 Like

Hi, Everyone:
I am Tao from China. My interesting is reading and traveling mostly.
Previously, I am kind of expertise in Medical Device Manufacturing and Regulations.
I want to change the style of life in a new country, Portugal is good choice for me currrently.
Nice to meet you all here.
Best
Tao

Hi everyone :wave:,

Iā€™m Ed ā€˜edjonesyā€™, currently starting to look at a nomadic lifestyle onboard a boat :sailboat:, exploring the world instead of grinding away trying to make a living and not really finding happiness in what we have all been taught is the ā€˜right wayā€™ to live life.

Iā€™m a graphic designer by trade so this may be something I continue to do whilst travelling, might just do some travelling and living only first as it will be quite a change from my current lifestyle. Lots to learn.

I live in the UK currently, interested in how other people have gone about making this kind of transition, how they manage money/health insurance etc, do you need an address in your country of origin? I just downā€™t know yet.

1 Like

Hi ! Iā€™m Imke
Since 3 years I live a nomadic lifestyle.
:woman_artist: :camera_flash: Iā€™m an artist & photographer
To earn my living I do all kinds of seasonal work in summer, mostly in Spain.
In winter I travel and always bring a visit to my ā€˜hometownā€™ Amsterdam for some friends and family time.

:dromedary_camel: :dromedary_camel: I highly recommend to travel to the Jordan desert for some relaxation and intense beauty. :dromedary_camel: :dromedary_camel:

:film_projector: Favorite movie: PARASITE - One to watch !!!

Iā€™m happy to found out this website thru my boyfriend whoā€™s a true nomad too! :sailboat::dolphin:
Slowly I start to think more practical about some official issues, hopefully this platform helps me out.
:money_with_wings: First is the switch of bank .
:ringer_planet: Maybe second a change of residence??

Lots of things to figure out here ! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Iā€™m Jillian. What makes me tick: travel, food, meeting people, theatre, writing and music. Favorite places? So far, Ireland, France, Greece and Switzerland. Iā€™ve lived or spent significant time in all of those countries. Podcast? Like Ted tallks, or Splendid Table. Love animals and animal sit a lot. Coming upā€¦Switzerland housesit this summer.

2 Likes

Hello! Iā€™m Melanie and Iā€™m a PhD student.

Favorite recent trips:
-solo trip around Europe (mainly Italy and France)
-hiking/kayaking in Vancouver

What makes me excited:
-plant-based restaurants
-linen anything
-being outside

What grinds my gears:
-when the local library doesnā€™t have a book I want
-spilling food on myself (especially my linen anything)
-mis-delivered packages

2020 trips:
-San Diego
-Grand Canyon
-Washington DC
-San Francisco
-Vancouver (again)
-London
-Houston
-Hilton Head

My motto is ā€œwork hard, play hard,ā€ and by ā€œplay hardā€ I usually mean eat plants, go outside, and visit museums.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Ada :slight_smile:

Iā€™m currently in my last year of a masterā€™s program in Salzburg, Iā€™m really interested in experience design and how people achieve more meaningfulness in their work life. Iā€™m vegetarian and I try to live a conscious life.

So far Iā€™ve been travelling a lot around Europe and I stayed for 2 months in India doing English lessons for children. Besides that, Iā€™ve been working as communication manager and content marketer.

At the moment Iā€™m thinking what kind of lifestyle would suit me, so Iā€™ve been doing some research about digital nomadism. I found it super interesting and I decided to write my master thesis about it to see different perspectives and talk with people whoā€™ve already experienced this lifestyle. Thatā€™s how I also got to start working as a research assistant on a scholar project about the future of work and leisure in 2030 and I hope to find here some cool people who would like to take part in it. :smiley:

I am asking digital nomads to imagine they are living in 2030 and to write a letter to someone living back in 2020 to tell them a story about how their work and leisure is like in the future. If you want to contribute, Iā€™m happy to answer your questions and Iā€™m looking forward to your input: www.tinyurl.com/digitalnomads2030

Cheers!

1 Like

Howsit,
Excuse my
Late reply. Gosh my Mentoring entails tutoring and supporting teens through self Development. Iā€™ve been here for 16 years now. :grinning:

I became an auto entrepreneur in 2013 and developed the curriculum in mentoring after studying philosophy since 2007. So my school students benefit and word of mouth.

Hello! Here, Elisa from Spain.
I am a freelance remote worker 11 years ago and I am a traveler mid-time around 4 years ago. I work in SEO and I am co-founder of remoters.net.
I usually travel half-year around the World to some countries with waves :wink: and the other half of the year I am in Spain, also traveling around with my van :slight_smile:
Nice to join Nomadgate!

1 Like

Hello Tia

If you need specific help then please be in touch via e-mail. We help a number of families in particular in the greater Lisbon and Algarve area, with children and seeking private schools. I should state that in my experience the Golden Visa applicant tends to want to purchase at the lowest possible level while a family home is often more expensive. Be in touch if you think we can help

1 Like

Howdy, everyone!

Welp, here we all are, introducing ourselves; huzzah! Iā€™m Kat; Iā€™ve never traveled outside, of the U.S., but Iā€™m planning on taking a year-long back-packing adventureā€¦ in about three months. Crazy, right?!

Aside from that, Iā€™m a goofy 20-something, who loves to climb things, read, lift stuff, draw, and hopefully spread a goodness and cheer. I also take movinā€™ pic-chaā€™s, for a living.

Thanks, for having me! I hope I can learn, from you all, and provide some useful tips right back.

1 Like

Hi all,

Francis or Franz here. Partner and I thinking of fresh start: Portugal. We are currently both in Singapore. Iā€™ve lived and worked here most of my life but spent 3 years in the US (Iowa)for undergrad pursuits.

Look forward to gathering needed info and contributing as well.

2 Likes

Hey, Franz. :slight_smile: Welcome, fellow newbie.

2 Likes

Hello Lisa!

Itā€™s nice to virtually meet you. I hope you the best in your endeavors. Iā€™m originally from Chicago, IL and now reside in the Philippines. I LOVE the freedom working remotely gives me. I met a friend here in the Philippines, who is from FL. He also works remotely with coding and web design. Perhaps I can introduce you guys.

Kind regards,
Anna

Hello! My name is Maria.
I am a Ukrainian entrepreneur, willing to move to Lisbon later this year.
Look forward to get needed info on mentioned topic, also contribute as well and meet new friends.

1 Like

Hi, this is Ling from Hong Kong. I have been working as a translator (English and Chinese) for almost 20 years. Currently, I work as an HR manager in an international school. I have been working from home for more than a month as the closure of my school, due to the outbreak of virus.

I like travelling by train. While I was in my 20s, I had the chance of visiting southeast Asia and quite a few European countries. I donā€™t like tourist spots. I would prefer to eat and shop like locals. I still plan to visit more countries when I have the chance in the future.

I am exploring the options of getting ATM cards in Europe, so as to reduce the unnecessary cost for overseas spending. Thatā€™s why I noticed this community for nomad and get myself registered. After reading the posts from others, I realise it may be a challenge for non-European residents.

2 Likes

Iā€™m Minzhao. Good to be here. I aim to be a digital nomad. At least, have the ability to do so.

1 Like