Introduce yourself! šŸ‘‹

Hello guys, glad to join you.

Iā€™m Henry, been working under a Permanent Traveller routine on the last 5 years, always get confused with taxation, banking services for non-citizens and stuff like this :slight_smile:

Itā€™s really confusing and challenging trying to have a normal ā€œbanking and taxā€ once you live nowhere, but Iā€™m really hoping to be able to find good information on here!

Thanks!

2 Likes

I LOVE it! Glad to meet u.

Are you Cuban and/or in Cuba right now??

I love that book, too!

1 Like

Hi! Just joined. I am a newbie to this whole scene. I live in Las Vegas, but am considering exiting the rat-race earlier than planned. So Iā€™m doing a bit of research. I love travelling, but have never lived outside of the U.S.

One of my favorite authors is Robert J. Sawyer. Any of his books are great, but this is my favorite:

One of my other favorite authors is Blake Crouch.

Iā€™m currently learning Spanish and am excited to be reading my first teen novel. (I just graduated from reading short bedtime stories for kids.)

Looking forward to learning more about you guys and maybe meeting some of you in person!

1 Like

Hello. Iā€™m Joseph in Boston. Retiring in Europe (Portugal or Spain) has taken up a lot of my brain waves recently. However, I still need to work for a few years, plus I am my 91-year-old Motherā€™s caregiver, so I am rooted here for the moment. Always looking for more information about living in another country.

1 Like

Good luck with the caregiver role. I finished my service about 2 years ago. I learned alot!

1 Like

Thank you.

Hi!
Iā€™m Martin. Iā€™m a transport technology and management engineer.
Iā€™m super excited to share what Iā€™m learning here in this community.
I love sailing. Iā€™m a huge adventurer, and I love to travel.
Iā€™m also fascinated by entrepreneurship and wish to make my impact by creating businesses that add value to our society.

2 Likes

Hi, new to this forum. We love to discover new cultures and were able to work/live in Belgium, Ireland, Cyprus and Switzerland. Also spent time in Barcelona. After being back in Belgium for almost 5 years weā€™re ready for greener pastures again. Planning to move to Malta this summer.

2 Likes

Hi my name is Edgar, I am an Aaian American in San Francisco Bay Area. In 1998 I moved to Beijing from Bay Area to work, in 2011 I moved to Singapore and in 2017 I moved back to Bay Area and now I am going to Portugal Algarve area for different life. I like playing tennis, photography, classic music, scuba diving, cooking. My plan is to play a lot tennis in PT, travel all over the European countries and some of African countries. Hopefully I can get a lot tips in the forum.

2 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m Kathleen and Iā€™m currently based in Portugal. :wave:

I left the San Francisco Bay Area and started traveling in 2018. Some of my favorite cities are Chiang Mai :thailand:, Taipei :taiwan:, Berlin :de:, and Porto :portugal:.

Iā€™ve been watching a lot of Johnny Harrisā€™ YouTube videos lately. This one on How the Dutch Beat the Ocean is really cool. In my free time, youā€™ll find me doing yoga or baking. :cookie:

Excited to connect and be part of this community!

4 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Caroline.

I came across Nomad Gate as I am looking at how I can best and most simply relocate to Europe. Iā€™m currently based in London and just utterly disillusioned with my fellow brits - Brexit. I grew up moving around the world as a child, for me my home is not where family is, or where I grew up (I moved to much in any case) it is wherever I am now.

I always envisaged moving to France at some point, but since Brexit everything is looking so difficult, Italy was also on the list, but likewise it seems challenging now. Yes I was too slow but I had stuff I needed to sort out. But I always believe that things happen for a reason and perhaps it is just that I would actually be happierā€¦ in Portugal! I decided on Lisbon, possibly Porto, and was going to try to go the Golden Visa route which is how I found Nomad Gate, the Golden Visa route is sadly not possible for me but I am heartened by the D7 route - thank you Thomas for sharing all your hard work and knowledge. :orange_book: :brain:

I have been training for the last few years to become a Pilates instructor; I qualified just before Covid kicked in here in the UK and am now trying to set up some group teaching alongside my regular [more than full time] job. Ideally, I want to relocate to Lisbon, learn Portuguese (I have started studying already), teach Pilates and enjoy a happy and balanced life. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :deciduous_tree: :ocean:

3 Likes

Hello all,

My name is Chris Kirkham and I am new to the Digital Nomad communityā€¦ a bit of a covid refugee I suppose :sweat_smile: I am Canadian by birth, Scottish by descent and am currently residing in Panama (although Iā€™m sure that will change soon)
I left my suit and tie corporate career as a Sales Executive with a large Technology Services company back in February of 2020 to pursue my passion for wine and to travel the world learning how to make wine in various countries (before the Tech Executive job I worked as a Sommelier :blush:). After several covid caused u-turns and changes in direction, I now live and work remotely doing consulting for the wine industry as well as working as a Recruiter for Tech companies looking to hire technical professionals around the World.
Some of my fav places:
Edinburgh Scotland
Madeira Portugal
Kyoto Japan
Looking forward to learning more about the community and how to be a true global citizen and digital nomad!!!
Cheers,
Chris

3 Likes

Hi Chris!
Welcome to the club. Iā€™m new as well. My current project is researching Portugal as a destination, but am also open to other places.

Iā€™m assuming youā€™ve spent quality time in both Canada and Scotland (as well as Panama.) Where are you looking to go next?

I noticed that youā€™re a tech recruiter. Do you have a website with tech job postings? Iā€™d love to take a look.

Thanks!

Hey!!! Thanks for reaching - nice to emeet you. Super interesting and coincidental that you have posted about the D7 visa for Portugal as I myself am currently investigating that visa as I hope to move to Madeira full time. We should definitely share information as we learn it!!!

As for the next destination it really just depends on covid restrictions and visas. I would like to head straight back to Europe asap, but borders are closed and I need to get the visa sorted. Iā€™d also like to visit Canada, but they are doing a ridiculous quarantine hotel thing that is wildly expensive to get back in and my partner is Portuguese/Panamanian so she canā€™t get in at all (weā€™re not formally married). So we will have to seeā€¦ maybe Argentina.

As for tech jobs, I just started working on a super exciting contract to build an engineering team for fintech but I havenā€™t posted it yet. Do you work in Tech and what do you do? Iā€™m looking for highly skilled Java Developers working on Spring Boot microservices that have experience with distributed transaction management systems such as financial and payment services, online shopping transactions, travel and airmiles transactions, event ticket transactions, marketplace checkout platforms, etc. Itā€™s 100% remote with a great compensation package and some exciting projects in the pipeline. Let me know if you want to hear more :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris!

Thanks for responding! Sorry I didnā€™t give more information about myself as part of a normal courtesy! Yes ā€“ my husband and I are researching the D7 visa as an opportunity into Portugal. Weā€™re just the 2 of us, no kids, and weā€™re mid-career. We are having our Financial Analyst take a look at our numbers now to see if we can accomplish independent living there now. But since the D7 has no restrictions against working, an opportunity to work would just be icing on the cake! My husband is very purpose-driven. So having a job to go to is probably more incentivizing to him than semi-retirement.

My husband and I are both in the tech field. He is System Administration in the IT realm. So he does helpdesk, user support, installing and configuring hardware and software, troubleshooting networks, etc. I have an engineering degree and do Project Controls in Project Management Orgs. So I do budget and scheduling for large scale projects. So neither of us fit into software development, but if you had any opportunities for our skillsets, Iā€™d love to talk more!

So despite borders being closed, I read that there is an exception once you get a stamp for a Temporary Visa. Portugal (and by extension, I read that Heathrow airport as part of the chain) is allowing this type of travel because it isnā€™t tourism. So you may be able to get in sooner rather than later (pending the visa process of course). But in following recent YouTubers who made the move during the pandemic, they are still recommending starting the process (meaning sending in your paperwork to the VFS) no sooner than 3 months before you want to travel. So it sounds like the processes are chugging away at a decent pace despite restrictions at the moment.

Portuguese/Panamanian partner! Ok, no wonder youā€™re exploring both places. We have been to Costa Rica, but not Panama. Iā€™ve been studying Spanish, but in looking to switch gears to Portuguese, I notice that I can already deduce the meaning of lots of written Portuguese because the languages are so similar. But spoken Portuguese is another animal altogether. Have you started learning Portuguese, with your partner or independently?

Hello everyone!

Iā€™m Richard and I am quite new to Nomad Gate. I donā€™t quite recall how I came across this site, I believe I was looking for some forums on the Portugal GV and found this super cool community.

A bit about my selfā€¦

I am of Swedish/Russian origin with Latvian Citizenship (any Latvians here??). Born in Riga, Latvia but left at a very young age and was brought up in Lausanne, Switzerland and Dubai, UAE with Pakistani residency at some point (that was quite an experience).

Nowadays I am breaking down global barriers by bringing immigration by investment solutions to equally global-minded mobile investors in the forms of Citizenship-by-Investment & Residency-by-Investment programs in addition to corporate services.

Looking forward to actively participating in the community and getting to know some of you!

3 Likes

Hey great, thanks for all the details!!! Iā€™m in a similar boat in that I could be semi retired financially as in my previous career I did quite well, but I want to work and am really enjoying being an entrepreneur now so the D7 is perfect because it doesnā€™t preclude me from continuing to work for my existing clients in North America remotely as well as pick up some work in Portugal. Iā€™m investigating a few legal firms in Portugal that help facilitate the D7 process so if I find one I really like and I get pricing info (and the price is not prohibitive) I will pass along to you.

As for work, thanks for the info. All the open positions Iā€™m working on at the moment are for software engineers (so if you know anyone please broker an intro - they are awesome positions - 100% remote, good pay, good company, exciting projects) but if I see anything that may suit you or your husband I will let you know. Send me a personal message for contact information.
That being said, I may have a little remote project that could suit your husband. Itā€™s not anything Iā€™m working on, just for a friend in the wine industry. They are a really big wine school and winery and they need an ā€œoncallā€ IT consultant to help whenever something goes wrong (servers go down, email not working, etc etc etc.). Itā€™s probably only a few hours work per week I suspect but youā€™d have to find out. If heā€™d be interested, get him to send me a resume or linkedin profile and Iā€™ll pass along and broker an intro him :slight_smile:

And yes I am working on my Portuguese and my Spanish. Iā€™m fluent in French (wellā€¦ almost fluent haha) which I find really helps when learning one of the other classical languagesā€¦ Interestingly for me I find Spanish easier to read but Portuguese easier to speak as the sounds are more like French than they are Spanishā€¦ anyway, Iā€™m a long way from being anywhere close to fluent in either haha. Fortunately in Portugal everybody speaks English, so itā€™s more just that I want to learn it rather than absolutely have to.

Chat soon!

Moderator edit: Please donā€™t share personal contact details in public, use private messages instead.

Greetings Allā€‹:hugs: Iā€™ve always wanted to travel & visit since I started reading about places as a very young child. Though Iā€™m more seasoned in age now, I still feel the digital type nomad life calling meā€¦Portugal & Panama are my top places to live, my favorites are Riga, Western Europe & Oslo. Iā€™m a native New Yorker & moved about 50 times since leaving there. To Kill a Mockingbird & Scorched Earth are currently my favorite booksā€¦it changes routinely. Youā€™ve some useful info & interesting stories to read here & I thank you allā€¦so glad I found the Nomad Gate :grin: hopefully my nomading returns in 2022! Stay safe, write well, live&learn much & enjoy :smiling_face:

1 Like