Introducing the secure Nomad Gate group chat đź’¬

Turns out Discourse (the forum software powering this community) is great for most things, except creating a water cooler-like chat environment where we can all just “hang out” and get to know each other a bit better.

While there are lots and lots of chat platforms these days (Slack, Telegram, Signal), they all have some critical flaws for the more privacy and security minded. Which is why the official Nomad Gate chat is instead on Keybase! :tada:

What the hell is Keybase, you may ask?

While not super mainstream yet, it’s a super handy tool for secure communication. It’s cryptographically secure, and also comes with encrypted file storage (perfect for storing passport copies and other sensitive documents that you really shouldn’t be storing on Dropbox, Google Drive, etc), plus a few more geeky features (like encrypted git repositories, PGP key sharing and authentication, etc).

This is how it looks:

To join the Nomad Gate team, just download the app (available for Mac, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android) and once signed up just click “Join a Team” in the Teams tab and type nomadgate.

I’d love to hear your feedback, either here or in the #feedback channel inside the chat.

Thanks I will join soon :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve installed keybase and applied to join the nomadgate team but I don’t believe I’ve been added to the team chat. Have I missed something?

Looking at the team on the keybase website, there are only two members. Is keybase chat defunct already?

Hi @markelein—it looks like you found it in the end. At least you are listed among the 19 current members.

But you are right, the chat never really took off (the forums continuing to be much more active).