N26 "payment pass" - what is it?

I just received an N26 notification on my phone stating:

“Your payment pass [1234] for your card ending in [1234] has been deleted from your device.”

Does anyone know what this is? Tapping it only opened the app. Nothing looks different. Is it something to do with TransferWise? No answers on Google or N26 support page.

Did you have Google/Apple Pay set up on your phone? I remember getting a similar notification when I removed my N26 card from Google Pay.

I have used it in Google Pay, but I’ve just checked and it’s still appears to be set up correctly there.

Did you try asking in the support chat? Usually they are pretty quick to respond :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll try that.

Wow, N26 have real, intelligent humans!

Apparently a “payment pass” is indeed issued when you use your card through Google Pay. The expiration of this one doesn’t seem to have had any effect on me.

1 Like

When you add a card to Google Pay, I think they generate a new virtual card number that’s being used by the app. Perhaps they just rotated that virtual card number :slight_smile:

In my case I think it was related to Apple Pay, it seems like the token was automatically generated. Apple Pay continues to work.

N26 support didn’t know anything about it, they thought I had accidentally blocked and unblocked my card.