Portugal Golden Visa application - should I change my lawyer?

Hi all,
Just wonder if any one of you could help me get away from this stuck situation:
I have completed all the property purchase process under the 350 K scheme. My current status with SEF is that my own application has been accepted since more than half a year ago. I have also given all my other three family members’ documents to the lawyer. But I don’t know why the lawyer has still not yet submitted their applications to the SEF. The only reason given by the lawyer is that it is very difficult to get an interview time slot with the SEF. As a layman I really don’t know why the lawyer need to wait until he can make an appointment with SEF before submitting my families members’ application.

Can any wise man see shed some lights on this?

Many many thanks!

Hi @andrewwu9929, I am not aware of any reason that the attorney would delay the family reunification application. We are earlier in the process and our attorney will be submitting the main applicant’s application soon, and they have indicated that the family reunification application will be submitted shortly after that (within a week). Does anyone else have any insights that may help @andrewwu9929?

I suggest you change law firms. From all my discussions, I can comfortably tell you that there’s no reason why the family applications should not be submitted at the same time along with the main applicant’s.

Hi All,

I’m just wondering if someone could comment on the time of the family reunification applications.

Logically I assumed the family reunification process doesn’t start until the main applicant has received their residency permit. (the assumption is, you can submit a reunification application for family when the main applicant hasn’t been granted any status in the country).

Reading this thread, it appears that you can lodge the family reunification for the dependants at the same time or just after lodging the initial main application and before approval/biometrics etc ? Is that correct can someone

yes. that is correct. As soon as you pay the initial analysis fee you can start submitting application for your dependents. Even before the pre approval or biometrics of the main applicant.

Thanks @jpgoldenvisa it’s great they can be done so early, doesn’t seem logical to be able to apply for reunification when no-one has any form of residency in Portugal at that point but hey … it’s a good thing so not going to argue :slight_smile:

Hi @andrewwu9929 we are still early in the process and are currently searching for a law firm. Any chance you can share with us the lawyer/law firm that made you wait so long with the filing?

Hi there. I went through the same thing. My initial law firm was a very famous one. However, for some strange reason they would not submit my GV application for more than 5 months! Therefore, after a lot of arguing and anger, I changed the law firm to a smaller one, which, then, submitted all the necessary papers and application within a week. Had I not made that tough decision, I would have missed the 2021 deadline and would then have had to invest additional 150k euro to qualify. So, in my opinion, the law firm matters. Good luck!