Portugal GV Fund Comparison?

My understanding is that Millenium wonā€™t actually do depository accounts for US citizens, even though they will do regular banking. I think this was discussed in another thread somewhere.

So, the more I dig around, the more I like how the scene has changed with this new batch of funds (maybe they were available before but I think theyā€™re mostly newer since Q3/20 or so). Thereā€™s a much broader spectrum available - true PE, true VC, single-focus funds, lots of non-real-estate. Theyā€™re mostly available in 50-100k chunks so you can diversify.

What I really like is that these funds are less GV-focused - they focus on being funds, and while they take GV and sometimes create a special share class to meet the need, they donā€™t truly care if they get GV investors or not. Their glossies are talking about the fund, how great Portugal is for investment, their history and track record, the specific opportunities theyā€™re looking at; discussion of GV is typically an appendix and a discussion of how theyā€™re addressing the retention periods and capital flows to meet GV requirements. (There was just something so, so annoying about a fund glossy that was half about GV and the fund itself was practically a hand-wavy codicil.) They often have really deep histories - Explorer dates back to 2003, Portugal Ventures is built on 3 companies going back to 2000 IMGA is a listed mutual fund with a 10+ yr history. I remember being happy just to see BlueCrow with a few years of history. Shilling has less history but seemingly real players, and itā€™s realistic in size and scope for VC. Oh not everything is for everyone but at least thereā€™s more variety.

This, plus Gavinā€™s reminder to look at fund stated purpose versus actuality, has really changed how I view what Iā€™m looking at. (Iā€™m still waiting for lawyer and bank, itā€™s taken forever. Grrr. Customer service - not!) I have to decide here really shortly but it got difficult fast.

1 Like

Always interesting to read your ruminative, thinking-aloud posts, jb4422 :+1:
My concern about the mutual funds traded on the stock market is the fluctuating value. What if the value of your initial 350,000-euro investment portfolio falls below 350k during the course of the 5 years or when you sell at the end of 5-6 years? SEF could say you didnā€™t maintain the 350k over the entire period.

That is no different than investing in any other fund. The risks are the same. You could lose everything.

There isnā€™t a requirement that Iā€™m aware of that your investment maintain a value of 350k, merely that your original purchase be 350k and that you donā€™t sell it in the meantime. You are perfectly free to lose your shirt in the meantime. Though isnā€™t it said that you donā€™t lose anything until you sell? :slight_smile:

Oh is that right? Thanks, good point, need to confirm (that thereā€™s no requirement to maintain 350k value, not that youā€™re free to lose your shirt :upside_down_face:)

Just saw a Bison Bank presentation for GV investors that gave the bank charges for investing in PE funds as:
Entry: 0.15% transaction fee & stamp duty (4% of subscription fee)
Quarterly custody fee: 0.02% + VAT (23% of quarterly custody fee)
Exit: 0.15% redemption fee & stamp duty (4% of subscription fee)

1 Like

As of March, I had a 0.25% entry at Bison. For ā‚¬350.000, itā€™s ā‚¬910 for entry, ā‚¬86/quarter assuming ā‚¬350.000.

Does Bison do less than 1million? Watching the seminar on their page it said 1mil but I was hoping to still get in at the 350k level.

As far as them being the custodian, yes.

1 Like

As Matt D said, if Bison is the custodian of the Fundā€™s investment money. Although Bison, for many is only the bank that will receive US funds and complies with FACTA reporting. Many funds will then take the subscriberā€™s money and deposit it into the Fundā€™s own custodial bank.

Yes, the requirement is that you invest 350K in Portugal. You do not need to maintain the 350K balance at all times. Hopefully none of us loses our shirts in this :smiley:

Yes, mine was exactly the same. They also just started a class ā€œRā€ version of the fund that started selling at 5,16 euros per share.

Not sure if this is always true. My purchased fund shows up in my online Bison account under my account number with number of shares, purchase and current price. Others may want to verify if this is true for everyone. I can see the fund total plus any deposits I have in cash for the same account.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to know.

Iā€™m just curiousā€¦ does anyone have concerns about what will happen with these funds come Jan 1? Will they be hurting for money since the GV requirements will be rising so much? I had that listed to me as a reason to avoid the funds vs other investment types but I know that doesnā€™t necessarily hold true for all of them :wink:

A lot of the funds will end their subscription before Jan. 1st. For the funds that donā€™t just aim at GV investors, they wouldnā€™t be affected by the change that much. I personally would be thinking opposite from what youā€™re thinking in that if Iā€™m still on the fence about investing in a fund, I would jump in before January.

1 Like

Fair enough :slight_smile:

@joseph.c.lapierre thatā€™s very interesting and appealing to me personally. Given the size of the Portuguese economy compared to lets say the US Iā€™m a bit averse to being completely exposed to that but I guess you have that exposure no matter what fund one goes with.

@nisbynator9 obviously it is all a very personal decision on how you want to invest. We tend to not like real estate for all the headaches that can come with it. We wanted something more liquid where we can be more in control of our money quickly. With that freedom comes some risk.

1 Like