Switching to D7 before biometrics for GV

Hello, i know there are several similar topics but I’m curious specifically about “switching” to the D7 before you even get the GV. We were preapproved in March 2021 and still have no biometrics appointments. But we have also decided to move to PT full time in the last year so the GV no longer makes the most sense anyway. Has anyone actually gone through the D7 process for similar reasons. It seems lawyers have different opinions on whether you can have a GV “in process” and also apply for D7. Our D7 appointment is in a few weeks!

4 Likes

I suspect even SEF will have differing opinions depending on who you ask. I hope you will post back on your experience and wishing you the best with the move.

Hi, this was awhile ago…but did you have success with getting the D7? I have the same question as you. Thanks!

I saw this post on FB yesterday, as I thought about doing the same:

I’m hoping some of you can shed light on my
disappointing experience this morning at SEF. I have a golden visa application that has been in the works since march 2023. Since the law firm for my GV was telling me it’s going to take 12 to 18 months to obtain the GV and I wanted to live in Portugal as soon as possible, they advised I get a D7 while I was waiting for my GV. It has taken a very long time to get a first D7 appointment in Canada but went in September at the Vancouver consulate. This morning I went to my Stage 2 biometrics appointment with SEF in Portugal and was told that I could not obtain a D7 visa while I have a GV in the works. They could see the application in their system. They asked me to chooses on the spot which one of the two I wanted to cancel. This was never mentioned by the law firm, nor the Portuguese consulate in Vancouver. I am wondering if I was misled by SEF this morning? The appointment was in a very small town. Or does anyone have information with regards to the possibility of applying for other residency visas (D7, D8,
D3) while waiting for GV?
Thank you for your help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s long been conventional wisdom on this site that you can’t apply for both at the same time, or at least that’s SEF’s position. See e.g. the last post here:

1 Like

Which did you choose on the spot?

Did you ask them about the delay for your GV application?

It’s not my posting. I copied it from FB…

if you want to live in PT immediately, what is the value in getting a GV at all? you just love waiting in line or something?

1 Like

It could be that even though they want to live in Portugal immediately, they still wouldn’t be able to meet the residency requirements of the D7 visa.

1 Like

Another scenario e.g. the primary applicant moves to PT and lives there, but the dependants don’t.
The only way for such dependants to maintain the PT resident status is via GV.

It is true. I have also posted about this in this forum. My lawyer and I went to SEF in Portugal last year (not sure why, but they managed to book the appointment there). I was in the room listening to the conversation between my lawyer and the SEF officer. Then the boss of the SEF at that location came out and confirm that “if you want to apply for a different residency visa, you need to cancel the current one that you are being processed”. So, with the story you posted, it confirms again. :+1:. You need to be very clear what you want to do with Portugal. If you seriously want to live in PT, then go for D7. But if you do not want to live, go for GV. If you are in between, then keep considering and do not apply for anything until your decision is solid.

Hi, thanks for your post. Currently I am about to apply for GV but there’s a 50% chance (which I can’t control) that I may end up living in Portugal before receiving my residence thru GV. In which case, I was thinking of investing in liquid funds, to be able to withdraw my money and switch to D7. Were you able to do it eventually? My lawyer currently tells me it’s doable but I need to start from scratch the D7 process. Is that right? How was your experience at the end? Thanks in advance.