Presumably if you start the D7, it would end your GV application. That said, if you want to move to Portugal and can abide by the D7 days in Portugal requirement, seems like it would be a good move. Not only will you get your residency card quicker, but future renewals are all online rather than another 2-3 year renewal wait time for GVs.
I am also considering first getting D7 and then switching to Golden instead of renewing the D7, because I hate my rental property whose rental income would be the basis of my D7 application and plan to sell it before moving to Portugal. So I’m also wondering about the ease of switching.
The issue I have with D7 is first of all, the requirement to have a 12 month lease at the time of application, when you don’t even know if the visa will be approved or when you will get to move. Also, I hate my rental property, whose income would be the basis of my D7 passive income, and plan to sell it right before moving, so I am worried about not being able to renew my D7 visa when it comes time to renew, without having rental income to show. That’s why I’m actually considering the Digital Nomad visa when more details are available, but the problem with that is what if I get laid off from my job? The appeal of Golden Visa to me is it does not require you to prove income.
Hello Nik, did you end up applying for the d7 while waiting for GV approval? My attorney has also told me that it is not a good idea. But I have read on the forums where people have held both the d7 and GV residence permits at the same time.
I have the same info …some folks have done it, but it is not technically allowed. Considering the current state of things, it is now even more dangerous than ever to jeapordise an existing application.
Hi Nik, So are you currently stuck in Portugal awaiting your GV residency cards? I bought my house already and my lawyer is about to submit my GV application, just awaiting a letter from the bank. At the same time, I have a SEF interview coming up (from a d7 visa approval) in April. I was just debating whether I should cancel that SEF appointment before GV application submission, since the government announced yesterday that GV applications after Feb 16 wont be accepted anyways.
The government announcement is not law yet - is only a starting proposal. But regardless, if you have no need for the advantages of GV over D7 (i.e. you intend to live there full time anyway), then there is not much point to pursuing the GV anyway…