What was the hardest thing to give up?

(Jenny F) #1

I don’t think most people really understand the desire to be ‘location independent’. It does go against what most people would consider success (being a house, owning a nice car, etc.). It kind of means abandoning a lot of those expectations doesn’t it? With that in mind, what was the hardest thing for you to give up?

I’m worried about giving up my car. I know, there will probably be plenty of opportunities to rent or times when a car would be more of a hinderance than a help, but I love the independence of it.

(anonymous9) #2

I don’t consider myself as a nomad but as some kind of bizar expat. I currently live my life in two places and I was going crazy because of all the things I needed to take care of. I had a lot off stuff because I didn’t know any better. I started searching online for tools to manage my things better and that’s how I discovered minimalism. By now, I can almost fit all my possessions in the back of a car.

To the car thing. Well at the end your always a little bit depended on a location or multiple locations. This could be out of financial (I can’t afford myself space travel yet), legal or voluntary constraints. By owning a car, you add some kind of constraint, which can be okay if you don’t want to travel the whole world but you’re fine limiting yourself to a geographic location (for example. North America or Europe) until you get rid of it. Yes, once you have car, you don’t need to own it forever, it’s just a tool that gives you some freedom but also a lot of liabilities.

(Donald Philby) #3

My cats.

(Henrik Mark Fly Hansen) #4

I had some things that I had an emotional attachment to but was doing nothing else than look pretty. I’m still fairly new as nomade, but all my life fits in 1 suitcase and my carry on luggage.