Christmas in Europe

Some countries are wide open for Christmas and others are completely shut down. For example, there is no public transport on Christmas in London and restaurants only have premade special menus outside of Chinatown. Thinking of heading to Portugal. Will it be open on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? Any countries that are?

3 Likes

I’d second what @johhnnyysmith19 said - Portugal does generally stay open for Christmas but it’s still good to check local schedules and holiday hours closer to your trip dates. From my own travels to Europe over the holidays, I found Vienna to also have a really festive Christmas market scene while still having decent restaurant and transport options available on actual December 25th. Perhaps Portugal combined with a few days in Vienna could make for a great holiday adventure?

Istanbul! (Constantinople.)

1 Like

Prague is definitely famous for its beautiful Christmas markets. The main ones in Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square are only about a 5-minute walk between each other. Those two big markets are open daily from December 2nd through January 6th. They’ll even be open on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day too. The hours are 10am to 10pm each day and admission is free. In addition to the large central markets, there are also some smaller, more localized Christmas markets around the city. Those tend to have shorter operating periods than the bigger markets, but are still nice options to explore some seasonal food, drinks and gifts. For more information on getting around the Czech Republic Tourism In Czech Republic Statistics 2023: The Ultimate Guide | GoWithGuide