EU long-term resident status - Portugal

Has anyone successfully applied in Portugal for EU long-term resident status — Estatuto de Residente de Longa Duração (ERLD-UE), particularly as a freelancer/self-employed person issuing recibos verdes?

I would be very grateful to hear about your experience, including:

  • Which documents AIMA required
  • How you proved stable and regular income as a freelancer
  • How many months of recibos verdes and bank statements you provided
  • Whether AIMA required an IRS declaration and nota de liquidação
  • Whether you submitted contracts or earnings statements from clients or platforms
  • What you used as proof of health coverage
  • Which Portuguese-language certificate was accepted
  • Whether AIMA requested any additional documents
  • How you obtained an appointment and how long the process took

I specifically mean applying for EU long-term resident status in Portugal, rather than applying for an ordinary Portuguese permanent residence permit or using long-term resident status obtained in another EU country.

Thank you for any first-hand information you can share.

Tried for 2 years to get an appointment.

None available.

I have a lawyer applying for me. Thanks for letting me know about the difficulty of getting an appointment.

Good luck, I hope that you are successful.

You can schedule an appointment via the contact form on AIMA’s website and the wait was just as long.

Hello,

I am giving up on the idea of PR, and now plan to move to Spain in the next 2-5 years.

Under current scenarios has anyone successfully applied and received an appointment recently? What is the law on this re pushing appointments through having passed all the requirements?

Thanks

Applied for myself in late December 2025, and for my family members in February 2026. My biometrics appt is December 7, 2026 (Lisbon) and my family has theirs on April 9, 2027 (Cascais). I am in the NomadGate database, and my timeline appears typical for more recent filers. I am a 500K euro investor.

Did you mean Golden Visa or digital nomad residency? I know a lot less about the latter.

He meant EU Long-term Permanent Residency, which in theory you are eligible for 5 years after receiving your 1st Temp (GV, D7, etc.) card :slight_smile:

Empirical evidence of any forms of Permanent Residency is very rare on this forum. It’s like this mythical being people talk about but few have ever seen in real life :unicorn:

2 Likes

Hi there Yes I meant EU Long-term Permanent Residency and no I am not GV holder I am on my second D7 renewal card. So it seems noone has succeeded even with a lawsuit to get the PR appointment let alone the card, and is it any different with EU Long-term Permanent Residency ? Thanks! I am a woman.

1 Like