How to open a N26 Bank account—from anywhere*

Hi. I am sorry but can you please tell me how did you manage use mailboxde. N26 not even accepting the address. The mailboxde gave me the street Äussere Weberstr. but in google i found the same address but looking like Äußere Weberstraße - is it the same. Please advise . Thk you

Hi, N26’s website states that if you open a French N26 bank account, “your first transfer can only be sent from another one of your accounts”.
I contacted N26 customer chat about this: the first person I spoke to said that I could ignore it, the second told me that it was obligatory.
Does anyone know what the situation is in practice?
Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is the same address. German spelling rules were updated, so in certain words ß is nowadays replaced by ss.
And Ä can be alternatively spelled as AE, in case of internet domains for example or when typing using an English layout keyboard.
However, I went ahead and tried updating my address to the suggested address of Äußere Weberstraße and the website declined it, so it might be that they have blacklisted this address. I would get in touch with their customer support if I were you.

Thk you Mario. I am testing now one of the new services i found. will see if it will work) Thk you very much for you time to answer) Have a great weekend

Let me know if you find one that works :slight_smile:

I am an Indian living in UAE and Macedonia and when I select any of these 3 countries, N26 app says its not available in these countries. So you can only open the account if you live in the EU as per their website. Availability across Countries | N26 Support EU

Do you know of any online bank like where I can open the account and the account is in EU. I need this to accept Amazon AppStore payments as in the three countries where I am, it only pays in check and that is a problem.

Good time of the day!
Question to community, but help of @tkrunning is highly appreciated:
had anybody registered account from iPhone lately with requirement to indicate current location?
Reading the explanations of @tkrunning and looking through whole discussion thread I have not found the answer.
After submission of the passport and face photos, updated N26 App asks for current location. As my registration started for UK address, but I am currently in West Africa, would it be safe for my registration process if I let my iPhone to tell N26 where I am currently positioned?
If not, any advise of next step is appreciated!

1 Like

Sergey, I opened an N26 account last week from Canada. I used an Android phone, not an iPhone, but it also required to share my location and had no issues whatsoever. I used my Dutch address, phone number, and passport. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Niels. Unfortunately, West African countries are not rated for fraud at the same level as North America. I experienced quite a few times when the cards were blocked if I used them traveling around without my banks knowing that I am in Africa.
That makes me skeptical on how N26 would react on my location.

Small update on [N26] opening account with them had failed.
I am not sure what they had not liked - my mailing address in UK, current physical presence in West Africa with associated tax accounting here, my permanent residency in Cyprus, or my Russian passport. LoL
After about a week of photographing at different angles of my documents, they finally informed me this morning that they regret to decline my account opening.

1 Like

If you visited the Netherlands often and actually did real shopping in real shops like Gall&Gall or Albert Heijn, you would know that most POS terminals reject MC and Visa debit cards. That makes the regular N26 card useless. So N26 has no option but to provide Dutch customers with a Maestro card, if they want to do business in Holland. It costs them extra to do that. They do it because they have to. I don’t see that customers in other countries have grounds to complain about it

I just registered with them. Mostly because wiring money to the UK or paying / withdrawing pounds is much cheaper. Besides it will provide me with a credit card. Excited to see how it all works out!

I tried to open an N26 account yesterday. I have a UK home address and am currently in Brazil. N26 app wouldn´t let me verify my id document. I checked with N26 and they told me that I had to wait until I was back in the UK because my location wasn´t supported with their app.

2 Likes

I just attempted to open an N26 account in Canada, before my arrival in Austria, using the Android app. The app gave me an error page, “Upload failed”. I contacted support. They told me that I have to be physically present in Austria to open an Austria-based account. They also said that this is a long-standing requirement. I pointed out that the requirement is not stated in their documentation. They agreed, but said it is a requirement nevertheless.

@anon42493116, I don’t know why you were successful. Maybe the rules for Dutch-based accounts are different than for Austria-based accounts. Maybe the fact that you had a Dutch phone number, while I had to give a Canada-based number, made the difference.

I’m disappointed by N26 right now.

1 Like

This is not my experience. N26 just prevented me from opening an Austria-based account, using an Austrian mailing address, because I am presently in Canada. An N26 support person said I would have to wait to open the account until I am physically present in Austria.

2 Likes

I now have a second, different experience. I tried doing the verification step again. Same document, same face, same location in Canada. This time, for some reason, it worked! I’m not sure why. N26’s Android app accepted my information for processing.

2 Likes

It seems like they might have recently started enforcing this. But it’s easily circumvented by using a VPN.

disculparme pero soy nueva y aun no se como se maneja esto…podriais decirme cuanto se demora la verificacion de identidad? por que hace unas horas que me e creado la cuenta e verificado por videollamada y eso sige dando vueltitas…gracias

supongo que tienes que esperar. qué otra cosa?

Hi, I’ve now spent four hours trying to open an n26 account as a U.S. citizen who has moved to Spain and has a temporary address here. i have an NIE number. Ultimately they said I must claim Spain tax liability and provide all full documentation in order to open an account with them. Extremely frustrating and a waste of time. Any ideas? first I put that my country of residence was Spain, and that my tax liability was in the U.S., and provided my Social Sec. number. It will not proceed past that page. AFter multiple customer support conversations, they say I must claim spain tax liabilty and provide NIE and all other documents. Don’t get it…