Search best country to become tax resident and leave my actual tax residence

Bonjour, I’m French, so sorry for my imperfect English.
I’m looking for a list of countries that meet these criteria:

• I would like to move from France to a new country

• I’m with my wife (and if possible I’d like to bring other members of my family with me, but it’s not compulsory)

• I would like a country where I can live in exchange for a sum of money.

• We don’t want to work because we have enough money to live without working.

• VERY IMPORTANT : We would like to become tax residents in this new country so that we are no longer tax residents in France.

• If possible, we want a country with low taxes and low taxes on cryptocurrencies.

Thank you in advance.

Can you clarify this point? Do you mean you are looking for an RBI?

yes ! I dont want to work or something to have the residency, just give money.
And i want to become tax resident of this new country because i dont want to still tax resident in France

United Arab Emirates might be of your interest.
Andorra would make sense too, given that you are French. It is close to you and French is spoken there widely, as far as I know.

Well, I don’t know if you have done any research on RBI prior to posting this question, but the list of countries fitting your broad set of criteria is huge.
I don’t even know if you considered non-RBI options such as moving within the EU which would not require any investment for residency as you are already the EU citizen presumably. E.g. you could drive across the border to Italy perhaps and enjoy their tax breaks for some time?

One point to clarify though - it does not matter for France if you become a tax resident in another country or in another 10 countries. What matters for you is how you are going to escape the tax residency in France itself.
E.g. in my home country it is not easy to do based on their tax residency rules.
I heard for Americans it would be even harder to escape, but I don’t know nothing about the tax rules in France.

Hi,

For explain to you, my main aim is to move definitely from France, I don’t want to be tax resident in France or have Resident in France, I want to move completely from France.
And I want to become tax resident of a country with low taxes and low taxes on cryptocurrency

I don’t want to work, so I was thinking that I absolutely must go through an investment program / golden visa to have the right to reside in addition to being a tax resident.

Thank you in advance for your clarification

Best regards

Sure, if you are planning to move out physically out of France, then probably you will at some point can de-register yourself from their tax residency, but again, I don’t know the rules in France for that.

In regards to where you move to, the opportunities are virtually endless if you indeed plan to move in and physically reside in your new country of choice.

To my knowledge, there are three major categories for you to consider:

1. Countries with a freedom of movement vs. France = EEA (plus CH but I am not sure).
  2. Countries with a residence permit not requiring investment (but requiring physical stay in-country, in most cases but not all)
  3. RBI countries (possibly somewhat reduced requirements of stay)

If for some reason EEA does not work for you, I would recommend researching category 2 as it may better suit the scenario of someone physically moving and staying in a new country.

Thank you Tommy for your answer

Can you help me for my project ?

For informations, French websites say that about the tax resident, I make you a translation :

« You are not a tax resident if you meet at least one of the following conditions:

• You do not have your home (family) or main place of residence in France, the home being your usual place of residence. France will be considered your main place of residence if you stay there for more than 6 months in the course of a year.

• You do not carry out any salaried or self-employed professional activity in France, unless it is incidental.

• You do not have your center of economic interests in France, i.e. France must not be the location of your main investments, the headquarters of your business, the center of your professional activities, or the place from which you derive the majority of your income.

Please note: this does not mean that you will not have to pay taxes in France, only that you will be taxable only if you have French-source income or one or more French residences.

Good to know : The rules governing tax domicile may be modified by any tax treaties signed between France and the country of residence. Please refer to any such agreements. »

If you can help me with your knowledge :pray:t3::sunny:

There is a fourth group worth mentioning:
4) countries offering a retiree residence visa.
Citizenship is not usually offered, but is possible with permanent residence. As long as the applicant can demonstrate that he/she has the funds to support life (including health care), does not pose a security risk (clean police certificates) the host country provides a retirement visa which leaves the recipient with no tax on income (pension or other) -ie a residence card that is effectively a tax free residence permit - often with no requirement to reside (ie length of stay). If you (or a member of your family falls into this age bracket) it might be an option: Retirement Visa programs I Harvey Law Group or
Retirement Visas: Everything International Retirees Need to Know

Thank you for your answer
But as I understand it’s not for us because I’m 29 and my wife 27.

Which country can be a solutions for us ? Andorra ? Cyprus ? Others ?

We want to not be tax resident in France as soon as possible

In addition to Andorra, Cyprus - Greece, Monaco, Malta. In Europe of today. Then there is the EU of tomorrow…

What kind of crypto income would you have? If it’s long-term gains (assets held for more than a year) then even Germany would be an option.

HI tommigun,
Just joined and saw your post here. You seem to be knowledgeable. Can you tell me which RBI countries require reduced stays? looking to relocate from canada to reduce taxes but don’t want to be tied to one country for 6 months (I am aware of what i must do to stop being a tax resident in canada). So far, I have found Andorra, Cyprus, Malta, Bahamas, san marino, bvi and Georgia. Did i miss any?

From a quick glance at your list you seem to be missing the key point from my post above, which is:

• you do not even need an RBI if you are physically relocating.
    In other words why should you research residence by ‘investment’, if you can easily get residence without investment (well, let’s say there will be costs/fees, but not really ‘investment’).

So your objective looks more like:

• move out of CA (ie. reduce physical stay in CA below tax residency threshold)
  • find a few countries (you want more than one I take it) where you can get both a residence permit AND a tax residency
  • you want your ‘new’ countries to have relatively low stay requirements for both residence permit and tax residency

If I got this right, you should start by researching non-investment options.

Thanks Tommy,

Yes those are my intentions (although I just want one country for tax residency). I want to travel most of the time.

I was not aware one could obtain tax residency in a country without living there for 6 months OR make an investment. Except maybe Georgia. Any others?

I don’t intend on working in the country

Oh yes, there are many countries like this.
I suggest you research Latin America and South-Eastern Europe.

First of all need to be detected what kind of income you have, only after that we can propose you an options.