Convert existing home to golden visa

Has anyone looked at whether- in a post Brexit world- a Uk resident with a second home in Portugal can convert that second home into a golden visa home?:crossed_fingers:

Tony,
You should consult with a qualified Portugal lawyer about this scenario.
In theory, if you invested over 350k or 500k and could get a real estate agent and bank to certify this it should be possible, but I seriously doubt Portugal would allow this especially if you made the investment while a citizen of an EU member country and it is more than a year or so old investment. But it would be a worth a try if you already made the investment.

Really helpful feedback- thank you

| mmtravelguy Michael M
January 2 |

• | - |

Tony,
You should consult with a qualified Portugal lawyer about this scenario.
In theory, if you invested over 350k or 500k and could get a real estate agent and bank to certify this it should be possible, but I seriously doubt Portugal would allow this especially if you made the investment while a citizen of an EU member country and it is more than a year or so old investment. But it would be a worth a try if you already made the investment.

Hi Tony
I was thinking exactly the same as you and hence came across this fantastic site. I bought 2 years ago and am going to email the lawyer we used asking him so will let you know if I find out anything useful. Are you going to be digging into deeper as well?

Iā€™m going to check with my lawyer as well

1 Like