My Top Resources for Nomads, Travelers, & Expats

Having lived a more or less nomadic life for close to a decade, a handful of products and services have proven to make my life on the road much easier and more affordable.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://nomadgate.com/resources/
1 Like

Thanks for this article! Super helpful!

I’m a writer/photographer based in the US. This past spring, I spent a few months in New Zealand and Australia. (Awesome adventures all around!)

Anyway, my US based health insurance plan told me they’d reimburse me for any expenses incurred while traveling, but I’d have to pay for them at the time. That didn’t sound like a very good option for me so I researched companies that offered temporary health insurance for travelers/nomads.

I found GeoBlue travel insurance had excellent rates, various options for length of times needed. I strongly recommend them!. Very reasonable price-wise and their network of doctors/services/emergency is quite extensive. They have a phone app that can quickly find a doctor or medical facility close to your location.

Luckily, I didn’t have any health issues while in NZ or Australia, but it was nice to have peace of mind while on the road!

Here is the link for those who want to check it out: www.geobluetravelinsurance.com

Thanks for everything you do!!

Sasha

1 Like

Hi Thomas :wave:, Many thanks for your comprehensive list of ideas and resources. Any suggestions on the best app for learning :portugal:?
Many thanks :+1::+1:

Very useful list. Agree with most recommendations and used myself several of them.

However, the Google Fi SIM card request did not work at all, even when using a VPN and a US street address. Tried three times and it always got canceled for no clear reason.

Called Google’s support and after they raised my query two supervisory levels, I was told they only send the card to US residents requesting the SIM within the US.

That’s not true. For example, Alliant’s Visa Signature card gives 3% on everything the first year, and 2.5% afterwards. 0% FTF. $99 AF waived the first year.

Also worth noting that BofA’s Travel Rewards card can give up to 2.625% on everything if you have a large enough balance with them (“balance” includes your NAV at Merrill Edge if applicable). 0% FTF. $0 AF.

Thanks for the tip, @spc. I’m aware of BofA’s offer (it was my first travel rewards credit card), but as you say it’s only really interesting if you have a lot of money placed with BofA and their affiliates (not the case for me).

The Alliant card also looks really interesting (and you can join the CU for a $10 donation). I’ve read some mixed reviews, though. Also, for me personally it would be hard to apply as my US ID has expired, and I don’t pay tax in the US (nor have I ever). I’ve read that they ask for lots of ID proof, including copies of driver’s licenses and tax statements. Was that the case for you?

One of the reasons I love the Barclaycard is that they are on the nicer side in terms of what they classify as a cash advance (unlike e.g. BofA). E.g. topping up Revolut through Curve with the Arrival+ codes as a purchase and earns 2.1%. However, as the card is no longer available for new applications :cry: I’ve removed it from the article.

Do you have any experience with how strictly Alliant code various transactions as cash advances?

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience of the various resources! :+1: Super helpful!! I came across ExpressVPN and signed up for it. I’m glad to read it’s one of your faves. Do you think a MacBook Pro :computer: is the most reliable laptop to use for a traveling freelancer? :thinking: