The Ultimate List of Nomad Tools (Part 1): Travel

As more and more people decide to become location-independent we are finally seeing a lot of tools, apps and gear making it easier to manage and excel at a life on the road.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://nomadgate.com/travel-tools/
1 Like

Great overview! Happy to see https://flystein.com featured!

Flystein founders are digital nomads and they compiled this epic list of nomad events: https://www.flystein.com/be...

Hey guys,

You might want to add a new app called Blubyn - https://blubyn.com to this list. A voice assistant of travel, building the Amazon experience for travel. You should check it out once. Would be helpful for the community as well.

Wow, a lot of cool info. Thank you. It would be great if this info can be organized a bit, by writing all the sites at the very beginning - with their pros and cons in a line or two.

1 Like

Good idea! Iā€™ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

Nice list! One app which I use a lot is Leap.
I heard about it from a movie on a German couple traveling the world.
They basically used it to find out how much money they will need for their long-term travel depending on the countries where they want to go.
I got inspired by them to travel the world so I have started using the app as well.
It has a financial planner so I hope I will have my savings ready soon :slight_smile:

Hey,
that lists helps me to get an overview.
Iā€™m also working on on a travel app in my freetime, which helps to create and generate travel routes with AI:https://yourtravelroute.com/

If you like, give it a try :slight_smile:

I figured Iā€™d reply to my own thread to share another excellent tool that comes in handy about 50% of the time I try to log on to a public WiFi.

You know how many open WiFi networks will pop open a screen when you connect, where it will ask you to accept some terms, enter login credentials or something like that? Or, at least itā€™s supposed to do that anywayā€¦ For me it seems that about half the time it doesnā€™t workā€¦

It used to be quite easy to force the login page to show up by typing in some random website address (e.g. Google.com) in your browser. But that no longer work. Most websites have switched to the SSL encrypted HTTPS protocol, which makes it impossible for the WiFi network ā€œbutt inā€ and show you the login page.

Enter NeverSSL.com.

It might be the only website in the world that have pledged to never add HTTPS or SSL, meaning that when you enter neverssl.com in your browser the WiFi network is able to butt in and show you the login page.

Just like in the good old days!

This has long been a frustration of mine - sounds like NeverSSL.com could be a godsend!

1 Like

Audio Tours app - you stroll across the new city and listen to audio stories about local attractions

1 Like

I have another suggestion for a good travel tool, itā€™s called Travel Signals. Itā€™s a great site that aggregates a lot of websites and displays handy information like visa requirements, weather and best times to visit a destination. It also shows prices of things so you can get a good idea of how expensive a city is :slight_smile:

1 Like

A useful addition to this list might be TextNow:

• Smartphone app offering free US/Canadian virtual numbers.
  • Receiving calls from all over the world through the app is free (and since Google Hangouts has free calling to US/CA numbers, anyone can call you from Google Hangouts on your TextNow number for free, regardless of either of your locations).
  • Making calls to US/CA numbers through the app is free, over Wifi.
  • Making calls to numbers in other countries is not free, but cheap subscriptions are available (though Iā€™d recommend using Google Hangouts for this; see below).
  • works for receiving some 2FA texts (tested on Skype, Google and some others), but YMMV.
  • Since TextNow seems to support receiving Skype and Google 2FA texts, you could set up your Skype or Google Hangouts caller ID to use your TextNow number, so people you call from these apps will see your TextNow number as the caller.
  • If youā€™re in Thailand, Peru, Georgiaā€¦ and you need a local number for people to contact you on, you could buy one using Plivo/Twilio, and have it forward calls and texts to your TextNow number.
  • You can have a copy of incoming texts sent to your email (useful when your mobile/cell is inaccessible, not to mention for recordkeeping)
  • You get a free email address (yourname@textnow.me); incoming emails to this address are also received as texts.
  • Should theoretically work with an eSIM roaming provider like Airalo.
  • Free version of app has ads; if you care, you can remove them by buying a subscription.

Just make sure to use a US VPN to get a free number. It doesnā€™t work outside US

Seems like it does now:
https://supportfree.textnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038236151-Is-TextNow-Available-In-My-Country-?

Iā€™m in Australia and Iā€™ve used it to call a Canadian number using WiFi as well as data.

Read my post again. I know the app is available. But to get the free US number you need VPN with US-Server.

Hi there :wave:,
I just stumbled upon this great list of useful apps! Since Iā€™m working on a project that might be interesting for some of you, I would like to share my web-app called kollekkt.

You can use it to keep track of your favourite places, share them with other users (or keep them private) and discover great recommendations by other users as well as hand-picked curated content. You can simply use kollekkt in your browser. You find us here kollekkt.com

It would be great to receive feedback, since Iā€™m trying to build a tool that creates value for its users :slightly_smiling_face:

Regarding Never SSLā€¦

Iā€™ve seen very small ā€˜travel routersā€™ which seem to kind of do the same thing.

Anyone care to comment on them?

If youā€™re inclined not to trust ā€œfreeā€ services (e.g. if they are ad-funded, youā€™re paying), ldpost.com is pretty decent. Itā€™s not free, but itā€™s at least a straightforward fee-for-service cell service that isnā€™t really that expensive.