Opening an N26 or other European bank account

Hello!

Seriously frustrated!

I’m living in Japan, but spend a lot of time in the UK. I really want an international, or at least European, bank account. Apparently, N26 is NOT available in either of these countries.

Any guidance, please?

Thanks,
Cary

1 Like

N26 left the UK when the UK left Europe. Revolut and Transferwise are still available in the UK and should suit your needs.

What kind of residency proof, if any, could you provide in Europe? And are you an EU citizen?

Monese is another alternative, which is usually more flexible when it comes to compliance requirements than Revolut & TransferWise.

Starling is another very popular option, but it’s only open to UK residents.

If you have access to an address in a country where N26 operates, you could also open an N26 EUR account that way.

Thanks for the advice!

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Cary

Thank you for your reply.

As a freelancer, I travel quite a lot, and spent 4 months in the U.K. last summer - that is the last U.K. address I have. I rented a studio in central Leicester, so no utility bills, but paperwork regarding my rent payments.
Now I am in Japan.

I fear that the address in the U.K. is now out of date.

Although I was in Portugal and Germany last year, I do not have any ‘official’ documents that would serve the purpose, I think.

Hi Cary,

Am in Japan, too. Permanent resident, but would like to have bank or quasi-bank accounts in
other jurisdictions.

It is becoming harder to be under the radar now that Japan has a ‘My Number’ tracking system. It is necessary to register this when sending funds out of the country, at a personal level, as in a transfer.

Re: your need, I notice that TransferWise has finally managed to get set up in Japan. Not a real bank bank, from my understanding, but good and cheap.

Personally, I am looking at funds invested, then spending allowed via cards, as in a Swissquote
investment account. Swissquote: Trade with the Swiss Leader in Online Banking

In Japan, generally you need permission beyond a tourist visa to have a domestic bank account - or used to. Regulations do change.

Shinsei, Prestia, and Japan Post bank accounts are the easiest to get here.

And how do you find life here in restricted-travel Japan, this strange year?

Kind regards,
Duncan