Portugal D7 visa - still available 5 years from now?

When did Portugal begin offering the D7 visa? How likely will Portugal still offer the D7 visa 5-10 years from now?

Im interested in Portugese citizenship and trying to decide between getting the golden visa now or getting the D7 visa in 5-7 years from now.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

2 Likes

No one knows @loheiman

If budget allows, get the GV now, then by the time you are ready to move, you basically have PR and can sell it after 5 years.

Did you manage to reach any conclusion on your quesiton?

I think the D7 is only the visa to enter. Once you have the residency, your problem is only to renew it every 2 years - which I assume will still be possible even if D7 is not there anymore.

I think most countries most of the time have, have always had, are likely always to have, some visa like the D7, allowing you to move there if you have sufficient means. The amount might change some, and will be relevant to the country’s standard of living, and the time-on-the-ground will vary, but it’ll be Something Like That. As it is, you can move most anywhere in Europe on those kinds of terms, as well as most anywhere in Central/South America a reasonable person might want to. And I don’t think any of these rules are really new in any way. All of these “digital nomad” visas I think are about little other than speeding the processing some, more of a expanded-tourist visa than any sort of resident-light.

I don’t ever see these kinds of rules changing, because who doesn’t want people who bring money in and are thus aiding the economy? It’s those who can’t make their way and are going to suck off the public purse or take jobs from locals that cause the issues, and getting rid of a D7-like visa does nothing for that.

The citizenship rules might change - though I don’t really think the .pt ones are so far off the mark from anyone else’s. It’s the GV that’s somewhat different, in that it’s letting you accrue those 5-7 years without being there so much, but from a straight citizenship point of view there’s nothing out of line with the rest of Europe.

So if anything is at risk, it’s the GV. This is of course nothing new. The rest is pretty bog-stock and thus I’d say very unlikely to ever change.

I’d rather a D7 myself. I just know I can’t move soon, and want the clock running. Admittedly of course I wish the clock were starting earlier than it will, and this is pretty painful, but I think the investments will do all right as a standalone anyway so it’s fine, and I really do imagine I can get out if I have to and I’m patient. But I can see where many/most people who look at GV may well be better off net-net with D7.

1 Like