Introduce yourself! šŸ‘‹

Hello, my name is Mel. Iā€™ve been in the San Francisco Bay Area for six years with my husband, last year we traveled to Portugal & I went off to see a friend in Ireland during our visit. Had many travels this year nixed, longing to be on a plane again. We loved Portugal and are dabbling with ideas of where next, glad to find this group.

1 Like

Good day folk. My wife and I currently live in South Africa in Plettenberg Bay which is a really beautiful part of the world but unfortunately we are finding it very difficult to look into the future in a positive way here in South Africa. We are now actively looking at joining the chicken run and our eyes are fixed on Portugal at present. Thanks for the add and so far Iā€™ve found a lot of info that makes for very good reading. :earth_africa:

1 Like

Hello Everyone!!!

I am Ahmet, living in the Middle East and have started planning for my retirement in Portugal!!!

Lovely country and lovely people drew me to Portugal a few years ago and now I want to ensure that I can settle there when the time comes!

Looking forward to being part of this community and really thank @tkrunning for setting this up. Over the past week i have been going through the information (before signing up) and find it very informative! hug

1 Like

Hello, we are Angela and Marco, recent retireesā€‹:blush::pray:. We live in three European countries and travel overwinter elsewhere :blush::tropical_fish::desert_island:. Ran a global business remotely until retiring. Came across this group whilst researching insurance (o joy :woman_facepalming:) and generally finding that many services are not really set up for people who move around a lot. Happy to hear from the community.

:wave:Hello community!

I am Ekaterine (or Eka). Iā€™m a PR and communications professional doing brand management, digital marking and social media management for a global field services company. Originally I am from the country Georgia, which as I discovered from reading some of the topics here, is one of the most favorable places for digital nomads (did not know that when living there :slight_smile:

5 years ago my husband and I won a US green card in a lottery. Yes, if you have not heard about it, there is an actual lottery :face_with_hand_over_mouth: We made a scary, life changing move across the ocean and started a new life here in Florida. We are US citizens now and I am exploring possibilities this passport offers. Cannot say Iā€™m a nomad YET even though Iā€™ve traveled to 30 countries by 30 :grin:

Even though US has been an amazing adventure, Iā€™m a person that cannot survive on the miserable amount of PTOs American companies offer in corporate jobs :unamused: Iā€™m looking for ways of relocating to Europe and live a more independent, free life, and this research brought me here.

Glad to meet yā€™all.
P.S. If you need insider tips about Georgia I can help :wink:

2 Likes

Greetings! I am Christie and Iā€™m from Frisco, Texas.

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Portugal (perhaps to Nazare) in the near future. We love to travel and lived in several foreign countries. Some my favorite destinations are: Petra and the Wadi Rum in Jordan, Nile River Cruise in Egypt , the Galapagos Islands and Manchu Picchu.

I enjoyed reading the various topics on this forum. There are a lot of useful information to help my transition to Portugal.

1 Like

Hi everyone, very excited to be part of this lovely community :star_struck:

Iā€™m Sarah, from sunny old England. Iā€™ve been travelling and living in different places for the last 8 years :blush: Iā€™m a copywriter so have the flexibility to work from anywhere, which is handy :slight_smile: Iā€™m currently living in Colombia (which is such a beautiful country, and despite being the worst dancer this world has ever seen, in a land full of salsa gurus, I really love it here and would definitely recommend visiting if you havenā€™t already been :slight_smile:

I noticed some people were sharing their favourite books, and seeing as reading is my passion, thought Iā€™d mention a few that are defo worth a read if youā€™re a book lover tooooo :slight_smile: :nerd_face:

Island by Aldous Huxley
Sapiens by Noah Harari
Jean-Christophe by Romain Rolland
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
The Colour Purple by Alice Walker

Looking forward to reading through the conversations and learning from you all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hello, no not really Portugal, since I live and work in Germany and cannot change that my choices are rather limited, but I love the idea of being able to be a Digital Nomad and I have been reading a lot about this for quite some time. So far, only the Estland e-Residency appeal to me, plus the old-fashioned UK Limited, but since my business decisions are made from Germany, I would automatically have to pay corporate taxes in Germany. But I might save some money and hassle compared to a regular onshore GMBH etc. Always open for suggestions though !

Hi - I used to travel and work remotely 15 years ago. Then returned home to UK and got into a UK job. But now, Iā€™m looking at new opportunities to travel and work remotely. Who knows where. This site has been a real eye-opener!
Cheers,
Jo

Hi Thomas! I found your blog while searching for a way to redirect the medium article to another website - Posting Evergreen Content on Medium is a Terrible Idea | Nomad Gate. Iā€™m extremely happy to hear that there is a way around it :slight_smile: Would you be able to share the process with me as well? I would be extremely grateful!
Thank you

Hello Everyone ā€¦ glad to find this site today, very interesting

Am US and Canadian citizen with perm visa for Brasil, living there now
Want to live in PT part time at first then prob go for either perm rez or citizenship
Have spend some time there back in 1980ā€™s and really enjoyed it lot, especially the TEXAS BAR ! Understand it closed down. Am Ex US merchant mariner- retired

Married to a Brasilian and have been told that she can easily get her citizenship from one of her grandparents. They have passed away quite a while ago though
IF she gets it, then I can prob easily get mine

Other options is for me to get one independantly via a visa
Have read something about 2 possible visas, one requires the 1st year you spend 4 months in PT, then 6 months per year. Other if I remember right, says something like 90 days a year, kind of prefer this one till I get used to PT life.
Think I can get the NIF even if I visit without a visa using my US passport
Will be visiting the PT embassy here in Brasil once they open up again

I am sure this site can straighten out all my questions in short order
Thanks again ā€¦ Guy & Sandra

Hello there,
Iā€™ve been lurking for a while so itā€™s time to introduce myself. Iā€™m Paul, recently retired from the offshore insurance world in Bermuda. The plan was to be travelling by now ā€¦ but with Covid-19 Iā€™m still here and probably will be until they have a vaccine. Especially since I tick a few too many of the high risk boxes. Eventually my plan is to travel on my UK passport to Germany, buy a French motorhome, export it to Bulgaria where I will register it under a privately held company name and look at obtaining the Greek Golden Visa for permanent residence allowing unrestricted travel in the Schengen zone . It can get very complicated very quickly. I donā€™t intend to live in Greece or change my tax residency but the PR card allows easy travel and itā€™s an insurance policy for a future time when I might not be able to travel. Greece can be a nice place to live.

Iā€™d be interested in hearing from anyone who has registered a car in Europe as a non-resident.

As I live in Bermuda, if anyone would like any information on living or working here, just let me know.

Thanks everyone,
Paul

Hi, Iā€™m Sara from the San Francisco CA area. My husband and I are starting to investigate the idea of moving to another country for various reasons, some of you may understand! So far it seems like Portugal might be the best choice for us so we are going to look into the real estate investment and fund investment options described by NomadGate (which has been the best source of information online that Iā€™ve been able to find so far). We are into road biking (the more hills and mountains the better) and manage to get to France or Spain every couple years as well as other amazing places like Mexico, Japan and Norway.

2 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m Frank, originally from the east coast USA, living in Slovakia since 1998. Actually my home base here & according to my username: RIverCruise CD, been working as a Cruise Director on river ships since 2001.
While at home in Slovakia, teach English & since started my own language school.
Great to be here, Iā€™m learning a lot already. Never considered myself as a nomad, but I guess I amā€¦

Hi there, IĀ“m Anne from Berlin but now living in Lisbon. IĀ“m a transformational coach for balance in business and life, a dance facilitator and sometimes DJ. I spent 7 years in Asia and loved it, my favorite spot is still Bali and in Europe IĀ“m just starting to explore Portugal :slight_smile:

Looking forward to meeting and hearing more from you !

I found this site because I was looking how to get a NIF in Portugal.

1 Like

Hey folks! My name is Viviane and I just quit my job after 4 years at a self driving car startup. Iā€™m starting an adventure around Iceland in 1 week and plan on being nomadic for the majority of the year. Very excited, and very scared. But hey, thatā€™s the point!

:earth_americas: Hello Community, just discover this awesome place. Looking forward to engage with you. I am a Mexican living in the US but want to expand my business globally :fist_right: :fist_left: Also I personally believe that the new normal (even with COVID19 around) will be to travel and be a global citizen.
Hope to chat soon! :wave:

Hello Nomadsā€¦ I am a newbieā€¦ UK based at the moment, I am a muso, podcaster, playlister and have just returned to Forex in an attempt to boost earnings and save enough to travelā€¦(Spain)!
Bye for now R.

Hello all. Iā€™m David and Iā€™m from Boston Ma in the USA. Iā€™ve been a nomad at heart for years and have indulged in my passion for travel over the last 17 years. Iā€™ve always loved Europe, my dad is from Italy and mom from Canada, and always felt at home there. Iā€™ve been to Netherlands, Germany, Ireland, Belgium, Iceland, France, Italy and Spain. My desire is to live in Europe full time and as retirement from my government job is getting close its time to make my dream a reality. I have a passion for video and am partnered in a small video company with my best friend. I hope to expand that once Iā€™m retired and living in Europe.
Iā€™ve never been to Portugal but am looking forward to visiting once COVID is under control. Portugalā€™s golden visa is quite attractive to me and Lisbon seems my kind of city.
Thanks for welcoming me and I look forward to being a part of this community.

1 Like

Hi My Future friends,
I am Senthil from , India Founder , Motivator, solo traveler, very talkative :grinning:
i strongly believe every one is good in heart by nature , i love world i love every one ,
thank you for this opportunity , and thank you nomad Gate ,Founder Mr.Thomas

Sen

1 Like