Introduce yourself! šŸ‘‹

Thanks. Whatā€™s D7?

Youā€™re really not going to do well without a strong set of Google skills

The D7 is a residence visa for Portugal. Itā€™s much cheaper but requires you spend most of your time in Portugal

Thanks.

I thought you were referring to Discussion 7 on that forum that I couldnā€™t find on the site.

I did read about D7 but was under the impression it would be harder to get citizenship etc.

It actually easier with the D7 in that itā€™s faster. Citizenship laws have nothing to do with D7 or GV. It is a separate process.

Thanks. Good to know. Time to get a NIF.

Hello everyone,

My name is Tanveer and I am currently living in California :us:. My partner and I are thinking about moving to Portugal :portugal:. I came across this forum while researching online NIF application process (thank you for the handy 10% off coupon code).

I am an engineer, looking to continue my work remotely while my partner is about to retire from healthcare. We are looking for a home in Portugal.

These forums seem so helpful in navigating bureaucratic processes which can often be slow and painful. It has already offered us useful guidance and a sense of community to learn from variety of experiences. It makes the process seem less daunting.

I am very glad to have found this forum. I will post updates once we start our journey. For now, it is all about doing more research and getting everything ready!

Thank you all for your contribution to this community - big and small.

Regards,
Tanveer

Hi everyone!

My name is Molly, and I am living outside Washington DC in northern Virginia :us_outlying_islands: with my husband, a 10 y/o boy and a 7 y/o girl, and two lazy cats :smiley_cat::smiley_cat:. I have worked for the U.S. government for over 20 years.

But lately, my country doesnā€™t feel much like a place where we want to raise our family. We are looking for a place with a kinder and more relaxed way of life, and Portugal :portugal: rates high on our list. I would love to learn more from people who have moved their family overseas, especially if you ended up making a career change in the process.

We love to travel :airplane:, and some of the favorite places I have visited areā€¦
Maui :pineapple:
Paris :fr:
Sweden :sweden:
New York City :statue_of_liberty:
Ireland :ireland: and Northern Ireland :uk:

I am currently reading Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson and am finding it a useful, if uncomfortable, read for understanding American society.

I look forward to getting to know you and learning from you!

Hi all fellow nomads,
I am now retired (just about), having worked in UK, Ireland and Netherlands for a number of different multinationals -European and US. Having ended my fulltime career about 7 years ago my wife and I moved to Spain and then 2 years ago back to The Netherlands, while I continued some consultancy work and and acted as a non-exec director. My children are scattered about the world, and I spend time with them in Australia, the US and a number of European countries - so Iā€™m interested in moving money around the world and in matters such as health insurance, inheritance tax as it affects nomads and their heirs.

Malachy McReynolds

1 Like

Dude, how did you create this website?
Why are there so many great people people hiding in here?

I visa my name: Iā€™m Sandy. Iā€™m an entrepreneur, a pass and a very opened ressource. :joy: Really, I can open but I have not all these assets to do it this way. Recently, I was fantasizing about Switzerland , yesā€¦ cowsā€¦, Australiaā€¦ kangooroosā€¦ and they have some pockets! and Spain, ooh gigidy! :pen:

I will say I read more financial books recently, the book I liked was The psychology of money of Morgan Housel, I liked also Quiet from Suzan Cain. :magnet:More or less, Iā€™d say to be at odds that ā€œFeeding the donkey sponge cake!ā€

Hello, I am Anthony, i am from California and discovered Nomad Gate while looking for a Digital Nomad/Traveller community. I had a Caregiving business up until a few years ago. I am now semi retired and now a virtual assistant work as well as attending graduate school online. I have traveled extensively for most of my life, some of my favorite destinations, Hong Kong, Spain, Vancouver, Boston and San Francisco. Currently preparing to head off for the East coast of the US and explore. Looking forward to chatting with the community.

Anthony

Sarah, just joined Nomadegate. Testing the water for what is next. Thinking about moving to Portugal. So what is your experience? I am currently finishing a screenplay as I see you are a writer as well.

Tell me more about the Golden Passport please. Thanks, Clark

Hello everyone, this is Nadir Shaikh. My wife Renee and I live in Atalaia, Lourinha, for around half of the year. I was a banker with Citibank for 39 years based in 7 countries, and now work part time with a couple of other banks as a Board Member. We love driving around Portugal, good wine and food. I read a lot and we generally chill out!

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Cliff and just joined from Bangkok!

Hello cliff , Nadir and Anthony. Happy to see you leap around and enjoying vibrant communities. You can speak out loud! Nice to hear your voices !

1 Like

In Seattle now, expect to sign on a house in Pombal next month and weā€™ll begin living there as soon as reasonably possible.

I used to work, but thank heavens havenā€™t for a while. I play the tuba and indulge in other mild eccentricities. S/O likes to sleep outdoors in a hammock and look for tracks of wild animals. :paw_prints:

I speak Portuguese reasonably well for an American, sheā€™s learning. Our experience there has been that itā€™s useful everywhere, and essential once you get off the international tourist beaten path, as we certainly are in Pombal. Weā€™ll go to the bank soon after we have things settled there and get her an account, and Iā€™ll have to translate.

1 Like

Iā€™m Lisa, and Iā€™m a college student living in San Diego, California. I am a former software engineer. I am considering moving to Portugal after I finish school. I lived in Mexico for a few years, and have travelled around western Europe, Israel, and Canada. One of my favorite books is ā€œThe Last of the Bush Pilots.ā€

2 Likes

Hi All,
I am Anthony Pinto from Bangalore, India and have been anything but nomadic all my life having stayed in just a couple of places in India itself all my life. We - that is my wife, three sons and I are in the process of applying for Portuguese PR through the Golden Visa route and should hopefully submit our formal application shortly.

Iā€™ve worked for over 25 years with management consulting and investment banking firms and then in corporate finance in industry with a real estate developer in India. From the last 3 years I work as a freelance consultant enjoying the flexibility and extra-time that my 9 to 5 job never gave me all these years. My kids are all in college and my wife too is a freelance HR consultant.

We love music, reading and travelling and now as my kids are looking to study and settle abroad, decided that Portugal would be a good place for possible relocation either permanently or to split time between there and India. We decided on Portugal after a long and intense evaluation of different options and so far from whatever weā€™ve heard from others not found cause to regret our decision.

I look forward to being part of this vibrant community

1 Like

Hi ,
I am 66yrs old from Wisconsin and a happily retired machine designer.
I wanted to travel for a long time but life got in the way.
Now it is my time to explore and be creative :smiley:
Tom