Introduce yourself! šŸ‘‹

Hi David!
Thank you for your post! I spent a few months considering Portugal and planned to do it all myself as well. I got a really bad vibe from all the expat fb groups trying to sell me things and convince me that you have to pay for it all with lawyers and such. I noticed more and more how it was becoming harder to find a place and also the visa conditions changed very quickly a couple of months ago.
I visited the beautiful country and did not get a chance to go very far north, but, I plan on just embarking on a long journey starting in June and going to spend a few months in Mexico.
Maybe I will come back to Portugal and spend more time there as well.
Nice to meet you!

1 Like

Hello!
My name is Gina and Iā€™m an artist currently living in the pacific northwest of the USA. Iā€™m single with no kids in my early 50s at a fantastic point in my life where I realize I can just go do whatever I wantā€¦ why am I paying 1200/mo to live in a box in Portland, OR?!
I have spent the last couple of years trying to figure out either how to get out or if I should invest in property and stay inā€¦ the cost to stay in and where I would have to go to afford anything has not seemed worth it and so, OUT I go!
I spent a long time considering Portugal, but, it seems EVERYONE is going there and things have gotten much tougher in terms of finding housing, etc. I took a very short visit and maybe I will be back but, I have decided to head to Mexico in June instead! I am thrilled for the journey. I love Mexico and am excited to explore the beautiful country.
I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll end up there forever, but, it is a good starting point for this nomadic journey. Life is short!
Very excited to be part of this community and learn and share with you all!

1 Like

Hi all! :wave:t5:
I am Patricia, I go by Patricia :laughing:
I am super excited to be here and this is my first foray into ā€œdigital nomadingā€. I am a remote software engineer living in SF and working on my D8 digital nomad Visa to Portugal to start my residency and ultimately become a Portugese citizen.
I love that this community exists and if anyone has any pro tips on moving to Portugal as a solo Black female :girl:t5:, please donā€™t hesitate to drop me a line.
My favourite places in the world (where I donā€™t work cos Iā€™m on vacation :upside_down_face:) are:

• Hawaii, all of it :desert_island:
  • The DF, Mexico :mexico:
  • Japan :sushi:
  • Duoro Valley, Portugal :wine_glass:
  • Porto, Portugal :portugal:
    The book I always recommend cos it makes me laugh is A Confederacy of Dunces.

Hello, I am Claudia. :hugs:
Born and raised in Austria. After my studies, I moved to Hamburg, Germany. A few years ago I wanted to go back to my home, Vienna, Austria. But I only stayed there for 4 months before I visited friends in Bali (while I was working as a freelancer), before I went back home I wanted to go to Laos, then to Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam ā€¦ the rest is history. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

I sold everything at home and have been a digital nomad for 6 years now. Since 2 years I have my own marketing agency and support international clients - especially in online marketing.

My favourite places in the world:
:parasol_on_ground: Sylt, an island in northern Germany
:volcano: Guatemala
:whale: Cape Town
:turtle: Galapagos
:palm_tree: Bali

The book that changed my life like no other: EĀ² - How your thoughts change the world, by Pam Grout

1 Like

Ciao a tutti! Iā€™m Chel, an American. Currently living in the USA after being abroad for close to a decade.

Not currently working as hubby and I are preparing to relocate to Portugal. Shhh, family doesnā€™t know yet, so donā€™t tell :smile: Hubbyā€™s family was originally from there, but no one kept sufficient docs to prove that, so weā€™re going after a D2 business approval ok. Weā€™ve both been there before and like it, although Iā€™m not sure about the winters and no heat in the homes. :cold_face: Iā€™m also researching potential new careers as a nomad. Itā€™s never too late to totally change gears, right?

Favorite places include: Roma, London, and Buenos Aires. Iā€™m a big fan of riding my :motor_scooter: and watching :soccer:, the real football. :wink:

I read a lot and find it hard to recommend books w/o knowing the person Iā€™m giving a book to, but these are serious favs: Tolkien, Commissario Brunetti, The Undertakerā€™s Gone Bananas, Under a Whispering Door, Weaveworld, Alice in Wonderland, A Walk in the Woods, The Ruins, Christie, King, Inspector Lynley, and on and on and :books: :books: :books:

Thanks for the add. Looks like a lot of great info here. Nice to meet you all!

Hello Everyone!!!

I am Rawad, living in the Middle East and precisely from Lebanon.

lovely people drew me to Portugal a few years ago and now I want to ensure that I can settle there when the time comes so I submitted my GV application recently in Jan and hoping that it will work despite all the uncertainties

I am looking forward to being part of this community and I wan to thank @tkrunning for setting this up.

1 Like

HI, Best wishes to all,
Which is the most accessible and friendly bank in Portugal?
some experience? Thank you very much

1 Like

Hi Everyone :wave:

Currently living in Mauritius with my family doing remote work, but thinking Portugal might be a good next destination for us as our kids grow older.

Hi Marc,

Welcome to the community!

ActivoBank is generally a great option in Portugal, but there are also others worth considering. We actually have an article about this topic, it might be helpful for you.

Thank you so much
Have a wonderful day

1 Like

Hi. Iā€™m Josh Richards. Recently finished and loved Anna Karenina. Currently, inspired by Walter Isaacsonā€™s Da Vinci biography. Hopefully moving to Portugal/Europe someday with my family!

Hiā€¦my name is Carol and I am getting ready for a 18 day trip to Portugalā€¦my daughter is going with and we are planning a road tripā€¦everywhere we can possibly drive in that time frameā€¦will also be investigating the place I want to live for awhile thereā€¦until I want to move somewhere ekseā€¦ha.
Looking forward to any info any of you huysā€¦and gals can pass on to meā€¦to make my adventure more eventfulā€¦Am in the wine industryā€¦so excited to be able to get to know all the delicious wines they have to offer.

1 Like

Hello, All! Iā€™m Mary, a semi-retired/retiring OB/Gyn doctor who is trying to move to Portugal with my husband Rich. We are currently caught up in the uncertain GV fiasco and trying to maintain a sense of calm and zen. We have traveled a lot; I would probably be more nomadic except for: 1) my job doesnā€™t really fit well with this lifestyle; 2) my two grown children are currently in the states and I like seeing them; 3) my husband likes his bookcases filled with REAL books (sigh!). But weā€™re working on it all. Some of our favorite places thus far besides Portugal are New Zealand, Iceland, Ecuador, Costa Rica and anywhere that is quiet except for the sound of water. Thanks for letting me be part of this group, which I was clued into by a friend who has already moved to Portugal on the D7 visa. I appreciate the wisdom of the masses! ~Mary S.

Hey, Iā€™m Alex. Three quick ones on me:
Iā€™ve been a 6-figure corporate executive.
Iā€™ve built a 7-figure online company.
Iā€™ve lived as a 0-figure Ordained Buddhist Monk

My home has been in Denmark, the US, the UK, the Philippines, and today it is in Thailand. Here my fiance and I are renovating a small townhouse, enjoying meditation, and practicing muay Thai all while working on building and managing external and internal wealth.
With my business partner, I run a concierge and relocation company. I struggled in my nomad and expat years to find trusted service providers in different countries, so today, we are building trust by helping others invest, live, and work where they want. Our current focus is Montenegro, where we help with visas, real estate investments, and company formations - this year, we will be expanding to a handful of other strategic markets.
On a personal note, my fiance and I also founded Outcalm.com to respond to global outrage. Our thesis is that our technologically enhanced future wont be less anxious, depressed, and stressed than our present unless we learn how to live in a manner that promotes deliberate calmness in ourselves and others. No amount of money can buy peace of mind, so the best way to enrich our and other peopleā€™s lives is to ensure that we always strive to be the calmest person in the room.

Reading a lot of the new members intros today, I thought it might be fun to provide an update on our personal situation since posting a few years ago. We have finished renovating our property in Evora and making a small amount of money renting it out on a monthly basis. My wife has opened a small mental health therapy practice which has an online component so we are happy that if and when we are ready, she can do that from anywhere. Now, all I need to do is figure out how to do my job remotely full time and we can live anywhere.

Hi all , this side Manik from India . I am looking to set up IT business over there in Portugal for IT services and consultant for Mobile App development specially in E commerce & Fintech . I am already running IT company here in India and having experience more than a decade . Now looking to explore D7 visa as a second option . Also want to connect with people who are keen to set up IT business there in Portugal and looking for Attorney support for D7 Visa and setting up business

Continuing the discussion from Introduce yourself! :wave::

Hello ā€“ happy to announce that we are becoming nomads! :walking_woman: :walking_man: Our intent is to settle in Portugal :portugal: and travel throughout Europe and the UK.

I work as a wedding officiant :wedding: which is such a rewarding and wonderful career. I have met so many people from all around the world. I feel so fortunate to hear their love stories :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Love this group and hope to cross paths :hiking_boot: as all of us explore the world.

Jackie

Hi all, I am Tom :call_me_hand:t3: based in the Netherlands for the past 3+ years. Before that we lived in Germany (Bavaria, Berlin & Baden-Wurttemberg). I work as a marketing director for a medical technology company. I specialize in knowledge management - helping people develop themselves getā€™s me up in the morning. :star_struck:

Since the pandemic transformed my way of working to predominantly online/ remote, we are looking at ā€˜greener pasturesā€™, or rather, warmer weather and access to the ocean and more nature.

In all of Europe, we have explored many potential options, and Portugal seems to tick most of our boxes. Greece and parts of Spain rank highly as well. Personally I love islands, the more coastline the better! We love great food and wine, outdoors (especially long walks or runs on promenades or along the coast), and friendly and welcoming local culture.

1 Like

Hi folks,

Iā€™m a current resident of Bellingham, WA working on an 18-month-ish target for moving to Portugal with my partner Jody via the D7 pathway. Our pensions, etcetera stand us in good stead, and we donā€™t expect insurmountable challenges, but look forward to learning through othersā€™ experiences to the extent we can.

My background is in planning and politics, and my partner will tell you Iā€™m outgoing. Lok forward to connecting here, sharing insights and stories. Thanks for sharing a journey here.

Cheers,
Dan

1 Like

Hi Everyone!

I am Robert from :hungary:. I have been working in the financial field for many years. I have my own company that deals withā€¦
:man_office_worker: business consulting
:man_technologist: IT and software development
:part_alternation_mark: integration of quality control systems
:newspaper: media services.

I also like :man_scientist: science ( :telescope: astro- and :atom_symbol: quantum physics) and I am a noted :writing_hand: journalist (economic and geopolitical) and writer (fantasy, sci-fi and literature).
I like to translate :open_book: novels in my spare time.

恘悃恂恭 ( ā€œSee yaā€)
Robert